Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

dogs in lawn after blanket weed control

what do you guys tell your customers about times for drying after herbecide app.? 24 hrs? what if they need to let dog out to use it? I just got license this yr.. the material says 24 hrs and thats what i told a customer and she said " well thats hard not to let the dog on the lawn for that long"
Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

24 hours. We have a contract that the customer must sign saying atleasr 24 hours and if anything happens to your dog or kids or whatever it isnt out problem
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fact, dogs eat grass, 24 hours doesn't mean much. Pesticides aren't safe for dogs unless labeled.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We service large HOA's & Condos and we post signs every 25ft, we send out emails telling them in advance what and when we will be spraying. That said people ignore the signs and even verbal warnings to stay off the turf. Nobody has died and no animals have gotten sick, generally it's the cumulative effect of what we spray and rarely a single exposure.So do your best and that's all you can do.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys.I guess i will just have to tell the customers that yes she should keep dogs off 24 hrs. i guess i also have option of doing granular?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While pesticides SHOULD be taken seriously, when you look into the tests done on animals, they would have to ingest a SERIOUS amount of concentrate before it would bother them much. Especially herbicides - insecticides are a different deal. Follow the labels and be as safe as possible, but it's not like someone's dog is gonna die if they eat some grass.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a potential client tell me their friend was over visiting while their previous company was out spraying. They had a small pet bird that flew outside and literally died on the spot while they were spraying. I had to hold back my laughing. I assume this story is true, which makes me think that at least to small animals it can have a pretty decent sized impact.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Please read the label. It says something like.
Agricultural use requirements:
"Do not allow worker rentry for 48 hours"

Non-Agricultural use requirements: "Reentry statement: Do not allow people (other than applicator) or pets on treatment area during application. Do not enter treatment area until spray has dried. Keep off until the spray has dried or the dust has settled."

Rather odd actually, if you read it too quickly--it seems to say that only the applicator and pets are allowed on the lawn during application.

This is from Lesco Redzone--an old label I had on hand.
The government requires laboratories to test lawn products at many times higher concentrations using rats to prove that there is no problem when used according to label directions. You can always switch to low toxicity products like triclopyr and Quicksilver.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-24-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-25-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie86 View Post
thanks guys.I guess i will just have to tell the customers that yes she should keep dogs off 24 hrs. i guess i also have option of doing granular?
Somebody correct if I'm wrong but granular has more active ingredient in it due to method of vector. And more likely to track in particles into house and carpet etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

apprecitate it guys. thats some good info. I Just got license this year and i mow and do general lawn care. will probably only do 25 or 30 lawns on a treatment plan this year. Ive read alot but havent had actual experience in applying chemicals