Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CDL needs redfined

They are trying to clarify when a CDL is needed to operate certain vehicles and trailers.

http://www.ccjdigital.com/agency-cha...id=1457d6be46&

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks to me like they amended the wrong part. Adding two gvw's to get a GCW isn't that complicated. The confusion is always over the 10,000 lb + trailer rules. Which say you can tow up to a 10,000 lb trailer without a cdl so people assume they can't tow a larger trailer without a cdl, when in fact they can providing the GCW is still below 26001. Adding to the confusion is the lack of clarification that you can have a GCW of over 26000 providing the truck is 26000 and the trailer is a 10,000 lb or smaller. So you can be up to 36000 lbs in that particular combination and not have a cdl. Then in their legal descriptions they will speak in pounds then start speaking in tons and peoples minds melt.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

It looks like they defined what was already known. Perhaps they need a few more years and a half dozen focus groups to clarify the actual law? Now THAT'S your hard earned tax dollars at work!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so I can tow a 9 ton trailer with a Ford Ranger and be ok?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUSWEDE View Post
so I can tow a 9 ton trailer with a Ford Ranger and be ok?

Well as far as cdl laws go , yes. You can do a drive by shooting too, as far as cdl laws go.

Last edited by 4 seasons lawn&land; 03-20-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The whole 26k limit needs to be upped. With modern 1 ton trucks and 14k gooseneck trailers, you are in CDL territory even if you only haul a tonka truck strapped to the trailer. Modern brakes, break away systems, transmissions and engines can handle more weight. With a reported GCWR of 40k for a new F450, it seems that asking for a new limit of 33k or 36k is reasonable for a combination vehicle considering a 26k + 10k truck and trailer respectively, is not considered CDL.

I'm probably getting my CDL as soon as I get a new dump trailer. Right now, I don't have anything to test with and no close friends with a CDL A to go with me. More hassle for me right now but it's something I should do. I just resent the extra hassle and needing to buy heavier trucks and trailers.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Seems ridiculous to me. So according to them I can send my guys to get there CDL's in my F450 (16,500 GVW) and my 6 ton trailer (15,000 GVW). They just won't have air brake endorsement. I wonder what the dmv would have to say about that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Seems ridiculous to me. So according to them I can send my guys to get there CDL's in my F450 (16,500 GVW) and my 6 ton trailer (15,000 GVW). They just won't have air brake endorsement. I wonder what the dmv would have to say about that?
Posted via Mobile Device
That is exactly right. Hard to believe that with as much confusion as this issue creates, not only with operators but LE itself, that this is the result. The system needs fixed. This may be a start but certainly does not go far enough.

I totally agree Yellow Dog that the 26K needs to be raised, in my to like 40K, or make it simple and if you need to pay Heavy Use Tax (over 54K) than you need a CDL.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone know how old the current 26k law is?

Just curious. Cause like yellow dog said there's 40k trucks now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
That is exactly right. Hard to believe that with as much confusion as this issue creates, not only with operators but LE itself, that this is the result. The system needs fixed. This may be a start but certainly does not go far enough.

I totally agree Yellow Dog that the 26K needs to be raised, in my to like 40K, or make it simple and if you need to pay Heavy Use Tax (over 54K) than you need a CDL.
I like the idea of paying more for more weight. I wouldn't mind just having to take the CDL written (make it harder) and then get my vehicles inspected. What I have a problem with is taking the driving test because I have to find someone with a CDL-A to go with me, drive my vehicles, and hope I pass so I don't do it again.

It's frustrating. Haven't had a ticket since I was 19, keep all my trailers, tires, chains, truck, etc., in tip-top shape, and I'm limited to 26k when my truck weighs nearly 11k with me in it!

I'm going to write my congressman right now!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing