Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Dumb me. Hydro oil leak. Ferris

Started having problems at end of last summer. Ferris 2000 would not go.... checked the hydro fluid, and it tank was all but empty. Filled her up with regular hydro oil, and finished cutting. Yep, I know now you are suppose to use a regular syn motor oil. Dumb me.

Fast forward to this year, got the zt out and same thing. Oil all over the inside of the rear tires..... So I replace filters, new oil, and back running smooth after a good warmup and just going back and forward. Stopped, checked fluid, and 1/2 tank gone...... fluid was steady dripping out of the rear fittings on both sides right inside by the rear tires and at the fittings.

Everything feels smooth, and no noises, but it is spewing oil out in a steady stream on both sides. Fans are working, and like i said it seems fine to drive.

So, did I kill the pump and drives?? It acts like it's not circulating the oil properly, and looking in the tank which is now 1/2 full its all bubbly and foamy looking. it seems like the fluid is being forced out of the fittings by the rear tires. I did not cut with it, just ran it back in forth in the backyard for like 2 minutes. Air lock??

This is going to cost me dearly I'm sure.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlawnBoy View Post
Started having problems at end of last summer. Ferris 2000 would not go.... checked the hydro fluid, and it tank was all but empty. Filled her up with regular hydro oil, and finished cutting. Yep, I know now you are suppose to use a regular syn motor oil. Dumb me.

Fast forward to this year, got the zt out and same thing. Oil all over the inside of the rear tires..... So I replace filters, new oil, and back running smooth after a good warmup and just going back and forward. Stopped, checked fluid, and 1/2 tank gone...... fluid was steady dripping out of the rear fittings on both sides right inside by the rear tires and at the fittings.

Everything feels smooth, and no noises, but it is spewing oil out in a steady stream on both sides. Fans are working, and like i said it seems fine to drive.

So, did I kill the pump and drives?? It acts like it's not circulating the oil properly, and looking in the tank which is now 1/2 full its all bubbly and foamy looking. it seems like the fluid is being forced out of the fittings by the rear tires. I did not cut with it, just ran it back in forth in the backyard for like 2 minutes. Air lock??

This is going to cost me dearly I'm sure.
Well, the first step is to find where the oil leak was... Atta boy, sounds like you did good on that!

The next step is to stop adding fluid and assume the leak will stop on its own... Ain't gonna stop leaking again until the tank/hydro system is empty!

Just throwin this out there to ya... How about actually tightening the loose fittings/hoses that are leaking OR replacing the hoses that are leaking before you do fry both pumps and wheel motors.

If ya got a leak in the system, it will continue to leak fluid/suck air... Thus, not being able to "purge" the air out of the system! It's a lil hard to purge the air out when ya haven't fixed the leak..........Yet!

Ya got nothing to loose at this point, so fix the leak, change the filter(s), fill the system with the CORRECT fluid called for by the OEM, purge the air out and run it!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I isolated the leaks today. After pulling back the black sheathing around the hard plastic type hoses I can now see where the leaks are. The hoses are just about touch tHe inside of the tires. After 4 years tire rub has worn the piping down and there are numerous pin hole size leaks starting a couple of inches above the bottom fittings. It's not very noticeable. The left side sheathing is visibly worn from tire rub. I guess that is what caused this. 4 new plex hoses have to be replaced.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

250 bucks for new hose assemblies.....dang.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlawnBoy View Post
250 bucks for new hose assemblies.....dang.
$2000 for new pumps and wheel motors.. dang.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
$2000 for new pumps and wheel motors.. dang.
I hope not.

Anyone else seen these hoses fail? After looking at my info., mower is a 2008, and has always been stored out of the weather. I think the back side of one of the hoses actually has a crack in it, as it's the worst leak. Can't see it cause it's next to the frame. Seems like these rigid hoses are under a lot of strain with the way they are mounted. And it appears if the fittings were turned out to far getting them to close to the tires.

Gotta get this up and running as it's grass cutting time down here!!

Last edited by MSlawnBoy; 03-23-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can take the hoses to a hydraulic shop and they can make them for you for much less $ than buying from the manufacturer or parts houses.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
You can take the hoses to a hydraulic shop and they can make them for you for much less $ than buying from the manufacturer or parts houses.
I'll check into that tomorrow. thanks.....
Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Not always. We are a dealer but we also have the ability to make hydraulic hose. If you need it right away then we just make it. But if you arent in a hurry I double check. For example on newer Bobcat mowers...the hoses are absurdly cheap from them. On Wright mowers its very close. My cost on the hose and fittings keeps climbing... Now a hose shop that buys way more than us probably can do a little better. However I doubt they would beat the Bobcat price on hoses.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had the local NAPA store make hoses for my Exmark. The cost was about half of the OEM price, same hose, same fittings. It took all of about 10 minutes to have them made while I waited. I took the old ones so that the lengths could be fitted up exactly.

They had rolls of stock hose, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 7/8 (I think). And, they had a large rack of drawers with all kinds of fittings, elbows, etc. My hoses and fittings were exactly the same I found on 4-wheel construction bucket and fork lifts.