Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

leaf job equipment question

Yes im a newbie. I was doing a leaf job/spring clean up job today with one helper the old fashion way with some rakes and tarp plus a small leaf blower. i broke one of my leaf rakes during the job. Do I charge customer for the price of a new one?? And how do i go about doing that if i do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Also do you include cost of gas for blower and gas for truck? And how do you go about doing that? And how do you write up a good bill for the job? Including raking leaves and picking up sticks?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGroundControlxX View Post
Yes im a newbie. I was doing a leaf job/spring clean up job today with one helper the old fashion way with some rakes and tarp plus a small leaf blower. i broke one of my leaf rakes during the job. Do I charge customer for the price of a new one?? And how do i go about doing that if i do?
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't. If its your own fault that you broke the rake, then its your own fault, and you shouldn't charge the customer. If they broke it, then I might consider it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGroundControlxX View Post
Also do you include cost of gas for blower and gas for truck? And how do you go about doing that? And how do you write up a good bill for the job? Including raking leaves and picking up sticks?
Posted via Mobile Device
Writing up a bill: I played around microsoft word for an hour, and got myself a general invoice that I use for everything. It's actually a template for me on word now. With charging for gas: I have a small section in the bill called misc. I include gas prices in there. If the customer asks, I explain to them that's where I put my price for gasoline for the equipment, and truck. All of mine have been ok with it so far. If your asking how to charge for a leaf removal job, use the search function. There are so many threads about this topic.
BTW, where are you in VA?
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

?? Really no you don't charge that to the customer! If you were out mowing there yard and your mower broke would you charge them also?! I think not really really wonder about people's business skills.? And you ask how to charge for this job well you figure out how much you need by the hour to make a profit figure how many hours it took and there ya go simple. You don't need to break even down just say this job will cost x amount of money and that's it.. Write up a bill for spring cleanup with a total that's it.
13 Husqavarna 323
Accelerator 4.2 cu
7x16 Sure-Trac open trailer
http://www.360lawncarenc.com/
Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No u don't charge for the rake!!!! It was most likely your fault and a $10 rake. You don't need to put the price of gas on the bill. That is just part of your overhead and you have to figure that into bidding every job.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay thanks to both yall. I was just wondering about the broken equipment.i kinda thought the same thing. Why would i charge them if i broke it. Ha. Yeah im just gonna put spring clean up and the total price. I count my hours and have a hourly rate and give them a total at end and thats all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Replacement equipment costs should be factored into your prices already. Search cost of doing business. Equipment does not last forever.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA GrassChoppers View Post
Replacement equipment costs should be factored into your prices already. Search cost of doing business. Equipment does not last forever.
Yeah i see thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on guys, he even said he's new, im assuming a younger guy in high school or college like me. Don't charge for the rake and im assuming your price points are pretty low if you think that you might need to charge for a rake. For future reference I would say to charge somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 per hour for you and your buddy and add on $50 for disposal fee. I don't know how great a job you did at estimating or how big the job was but I know that for my first couple landscape jobs that were clean ups I barely made a buck.

I like these rakes a lot:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_288183-302-1...7C1&facetInfo=

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Took us 9 hours and didnt even have to bag them or load them
Posted via Mobile Device