Register free!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Backflow Certificaton

My company has been in business for 14 years and we offer a wide variety of services, one being irrigation. We offer maintenance and installation. Since neither myself or my crew are back flow certified I always contract out that part of the job but i'm interested in becoming certified so I can do the job myself. When I called about it they told me I have to work for a company that is back flow certified for five years before I can become certified. This can't be right. Since I own the company I can't take on another job. Are there any other ways to go about doing this? Our company is located in Missouri. Please and Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I understand it's that way here in NM also.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me know what you find out. I'm in MO as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/env/wpp/docs/backflowletter.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your question piqued my curiosity as I was asked to sign an unrelated letter of support recently. I called a half dozen numbers this morning and finally spoke to an educator that said five years in a water related field, irrigation, landscaping, farming, sewerage etc. If you have been in a related business or 14 years you're golden.

I was directed to http://kcbackflow.com
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim's Info is dead on. And yes I'm a Licensed missouri tester. Feel free to PM me with any other questions you guys might have. Now your particular city or water purveyor may have more licensing on top of that. Not sure on either of your areas as that is not where I work.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Your question piqued my curiosity as I was asked to sign an unrelated letter of support recently. I called a half dozen numbers this morning and finally spoke to an educator that said five years in a water related field, irrigation, landscaping, farming, sewerage etc. If you have been in a related business or 14 years you're golden.
Hard to believe that it makes any difference. In WA State you take the test (hard), buy an approved test kit, and you're good to go. There are many BAT'S that don't even dink with sprinklers, and simply do fire lines.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Hard to believe that it makes any difference. In WA State you take the test (hard), buy an approved test kit, and you're good to go. There are many BAT'S that don't even dink with sprinklers, and simply do fire lines.
Here's what piqued my curiosity boss, the experience that the op said was a prerequisite. Someone asked me to sign a letter of support for their bonefides. I haven't even seen the guy in 25 yrs much less work with him in the last ten years. Nonononono

How ya doing boss?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In Arkansas you must take a week long course & pass test at the end. Different course for testing vs. repair. Of course every state is different, just letting you know. Luckily the home testing site is in my town but they travel the state giving the course.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Texas it is a 40 hr BPAT course with a written and practical test at the end. Written test was not particularly difficult. The practical portion at least through the provider I attended was pretty challenging since it included having to diagnose various failures with the device including how to work around things such as leaking shutoffs etc.

In order to get the license itself you must have at least 2 years of experience in water-related industry (fire, irrigation, utilities etc.) with up to a year being given for college credit.