Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Banned

Soil Moisture Sensor Vs. Rain Sensor

Residential Irrigation Contractor. 1 Owner/Tech 1 Helper. 200 Accounts. Systems Average 12-45 zones.

The Toro Precision Soil Sensor looks pretty awesome. Is there any need for a rain sensor when using a soil moisture sensor?

I've read a bunch of articles/webpages saying soil moisture sensors are 65% more effective than rain sensors. Thinking about pitching soil sensor to all of my customers:
-No need for ladder on-site.
-Supposedly more effective than rain sensors
-Toro claims it adjusts to soil type automatically. That saves me time(I usually have to pull the soil type from the county soil database in order to schedule days interval properly)

Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

You're a residential contractor, and your systems average 12+ zones?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale View Post
You're a residential contractor, and your systems average 12+ zones?
Yes. Northern Virginia. Mostly very large houses/properties. 30% of our clients have 10 zones or less
Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Ck17va, on behalf of The Toro Company, thank you for your interest in our Precisionô Soil Sensor.

To answer your question, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Though soil sensors are much more accurate at determining the total useable moisture in the soil, and therefore will save you more water, unless you have coarse sandy soil, they usually donít react as quickly to rain as a rain sensor, in which case, we recommend using the two together to receive the benefits of both.

In a recent two-year study that was conducted by New Mexico State University, they found the Precision Soil Sensor saved upwards of 61% in water usage, and 41% on average compared to standard fixed-runtime controllers. Of course, your individual results will vary depending on site conditions and other environmental factors.

In one particular case after a significant rainfall during the study, the rain sensorís hygroscopic disks dried out and allowed watering after just three days, whereas the soil sensor continued to block irrigation for over a week, allowing the system to take advantage of the full amount of rainfall.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any other questions, please feel free to call us at 1-877-345-8676.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned

Thanks! Gonna give it a shot.