Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro dingo for privet removal???

Hey fellas,

Season is coming on for me and winning a few decent bids. Didn't get the big ravine job I posted a while back but managed to get a few smaller jobs out of the property owner. I will get some pics of the job next week when I am onsite.

I got called to bid a nice little job clearing a bunch of fairly mature privet down a bank leading to a creek. Bank is fairly soft and the catch is that there is no heavy machine access due to small back yard and freshly set septic and drain field. Again, it's in my wheelhouse, small job using small tools that the big guys don't want to touch.

I am using a toro dingo for another job and have been wanting to try it out on privet. Anyone have any experience using one to rip or push privet? Any other light weight, low compaction equipment y'all can suggest that would make it over the drain field and septic and do the job. The county will be watching and the owner said we really have to watch the equipment in and out.

Off to haul tree scraps to the dump and pick up downed cedar all day, yee haw!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

How big is it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Cut the probit off at ground level and paint the stumps with gly. This way you don't have to regrade the hillside or have someone looking over your shoulder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what knox said or rent a stump grinder. If your set on digging them out a small mini ex would work well
Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never dug out privet but have used it on some WELL established (~20yrs) shrubs of various varieties. Large root zone and deep. Took them out fairly easy although I only had to clear it out enough to smooth the grade out level with the rest of the yard.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I don't think the property owner will go for a gly burn since they are anti chemicals on the other properties I take care of for them. I thought about cutting them at the base and sending them through a small chipper to spread but thinking that privet is a pretty aggressive invasive with regenerative properties so probably a no go there. I do not have to grade this job as they are just looking for the privet to be removed so they can have a view of the creek from the house. I am going Saturday to do another site visit and will try to get pics.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I would take a mini excavator in there, assuming it's wide enough for it to access the site. Mat across the septic field, if required.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack1986 View Post
I would take a mini excavator in there, assuming it's wide enough for it to access the site. Mat across the septic field, if required.
I went out to the site yesterday and there is no way a dingo is pushing that privet out. Mini ex is my only option it looks like. Never done a mat before but got the name of a guy in town that I think supplies them. Are they expensive and can I rent them? I'll have to check with the county to find out if they'll allow mats or I'm back to back breaking hand tools
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

You can rent legit mats, or just use a few sheets of olywood and leap frog it over the yard.

Another option, if you have the budget for it is Alturna Mats. $220 each for 4'x8'. Free shipping if you order 5. 6 year warranty.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

get 3/4 in plywood. We lay it down for minis, ctls and tandem tree spades. Depends on usage, we 2-3 years out of a sheet, sometimes more. Keep it out of the weather. ply wood and a mini will be way less pressure than a foot print