Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

These are the days on our lawns 2014

To start off this year we currently running in this county, a 10 man mowing, 3 man landscaping, 2 man tree care, 2 man turf care teams. They are responsible for some 320 clients a week. This is their journey through the year as I document their misfortunes.

We begin our year on march 1st with fertilize around the corner. We applied our product to early in the entire district causing damages when the temperatures duped below freezing for several days.
Lawns began to green up, and it got cold again
We began our regular mowing cycle this past week and it will be cold again Monday .
We completed all the regular clients week 1.
We added 3 new clients as well due to the ads we have run all month in several newspapers.
The crew arrives on one of these jobs and begins, three truck and 16' trailer fulls and the bushes are done they blow everything out of the beds,pick up the big stuff, detail everything and then it happens. They unload the gravely mower and off they go, first stripe, it dies,starts back, mows 10' dies.
They manage to limp the machine back to the trailer where they load it up.
They leave for the day, yard is a mess.
On the way back in the driver noticed a shake in the steering wheel.

They arrive back at the shop. We replace the fuel filter(which was replaced in February, we had run the tank completely empty before fresh fuel and it had trash).$2.99 filter and they are fixed.
Then they checked the shake, turns out the front tire was seperating, blow out averted. The following morning,7:00am at the tire shop we are having it fixed.
We lift the front and we checked the front end over. The outer tie rod end is bad and on the passenger side the upper ball joint control arm is bad.

The tire $125.00
Outter tie rod $56.00
Control arm$89.00
Alignment $49.00
Out the door at 9:05a.m
They arrive on the unfinished job and everything goes as planned everything is finished, client comes home and is impressed, end of story..

The following day the previously mentioned client calls and another crew arrives after 5:00 P.M. And they finish their day onsite, client happy again ...

The following day this client calls wanting her myrtles murdered, our tree guys advise her not to, but the client is boss, the tree guys half did it, they will give a little Bt know how things are to be trimmed as well do everything was completed and a note thanking us and a $300.00 tip for our efforts was passed to them and the client said "see you guys next week.

I called her and she said the tip was fine we did so much more then most, we came back, she expressed she was to picky, so picky in fact the neighborhood don't even help her any more. I told her "We was glad to have her".

We finished this job at 7 truck,trailer loads of debris and 37 man hours of work and likely will be getting the neighbor out of this effort.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! Sounds like a crazy day!

I wish I could get a 300 dollar tip!

Boy! That's some good luck right there!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It was refreshing to the guys. She had about 90 shrubs 300 grasses 1000' of bed edges a lot of extras.
3 bags of fertilize, weed control. The yard looks great, I will go out next week to photo things. I expect the client will want mulch next, it's ugly without it though(beds).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice job man, can't get mad when things break and you didnt. still early up here in cape cod but i got the stihl km130 out yesterday and nailed all my neighbors grasses as a favor with the hedger. awesome machine, right through neighbors just standing there in amazement
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

That's the kind of start to the season that makes you wonder if you have chosen the right profession.

You got it done in a professional way and are reaping the rewards. Congratulations.

Best of luck in 2014.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Funny how a $3 part shut down your mowing crew. Does your tree crew lose a day for a fouled plug on their saw?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Funny how a $3 part shut down your mowing crew. Does your tree crew lose a day for a fouled plug on their saw?
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you really expect your grass crew to fix something in the field?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Do you really expect your grass crew to fix something in the field?
Posted via Mobile Device
If a crew leader can't fix an inline filter there is something wrong......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
If a crew leader can't fix an inline filter there is something wrong......
Posted via Mobile Device
Not necessarily its not their problem. They probably wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Not necessarily its not their problem. They probably wouldn't know where to start troubleshooting.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just can't see losing day because of a filter. I'd send out someone who could diagnose the problem instead of losing production time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread