Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is a stander right for me?

Looking for some opinions on this since we're not mowing here yet so I can't demo and I'm trying to decide what path to take. I used an exmark vantage last year for a day and liked the stander style, I currently have a 60" lazer and will keep it and will be on the trailer still.

My properties are mostly 7-10k sq foot, only a few in the 15-20k sq ft size with a good amount of obstacles, then a few larger commercials that also have a lot of obstacles (I'd say 1-2 acre places but mostly broken up, no large flat wide open mowing). From what I've read just about all my stuff is perfect stander size territory, the doubt for me is that nearly all of my residentials are fertilized and the great fertilizing companies love that nitrogen, so the lawns are insane from April-June, and then again in late August-October and usually very wet most of the day in fall. Mulching IMO can't be done around here during these times, I bag almost all of the residentials. We have a bluegrass, rye, fescue mix here and no joke, TG lawns get 6-8" of growth per week in the spring. My lazer has the 3 bag ultravac and will usually fill up at least once on even the smaller yards.

Given that scenario, should I even be considering a stander? I've always bagged because I felt it was faster. No double cutting, no worries about grass in beds, less time or no time blowing drives off. If I had to I could cut back to only bagging a hand full of people that absolutely demand it, but will I be slowing myself down by side discharging and probably having to double cut? One of the biggest reasons I'm looking at a stander is for my back, it's very bad and getting worse, so I think switching to a stander may help this.

What do you all think? Again, I will be keeping the exmark on the trailer, at this point I'm leaning towards using the stander as much as possible to help with my back but if I really need the bags or larger deck for some places I'll have the ability to switch off and on during the day to hopefully cut down on the back abuse.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a Walker would be a perfect fit for you since you're mostly bagging smaller yards. Get the suspension seat to help with back issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think any amount of seat will help. I've always had a suspension seat and it still feels like a spike is going up my back when I hit small bumps. The problem with my back is definitely when in a seated position, even while plowing snow after about 4 hours I start to hurt pretty bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bueller?

No one uses standers in thick heavily fertilized lawns? Talk to me people, anything? How big of a pain is it to bag with them, how do they (mainly gravely) do with side discharging and mulching even? I try not to cut in the rain, so really wet conditions aren't a problem but we do get pretty heavy dew most months here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Everything you want to know about the Gravely Pro Stance.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389107

Except bagging which is limited because of the capacity of the catcher. I also never used the mulch kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I read your review, it helped push me to go look at gravely. There's a lot of features on it I like, mainly the foot pedal, that was on thing that made me shy away from standers when I used a vantage, I felt seperated from the deck without being able to quickly and easily feather it up over roots.

The fact that the lawns here are so thick worries me, even on my small 12k or less sq ft lawns I can fill my 3 bag ultravac 1-2 times in the spring. So if I didn't bag I'm thinking I'd have to double cut all these places, which would in turn slow me down.

I'm going to hold off and demo a prostance hopefully for a couple days and see how it fits for me, it may be a trade I have to make, alittle slower but save my back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

keep the rider around for spring and fall bagging, since you already have it,

buy new standers, since they are cheaper.

in the mean time, the rider will last longer because its not being used a full season and you can try to get control go your customers fert programs and start using slow release fertilizers.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

not sure if scag is popular where you are but how about looking at the vride? ive used standers and feel they are harder to keep straight than the exmark ride on and the vride. i just bought a vride 2 days ago, but demoed one last year and the ferris evolution, loved the vride, hated the evolution. i cant wait to mow!
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower