Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How to estimate mulch?

I do it by wheelbarrow loads. Is there any more efficient way to figure out how much mulch to quote a job for?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

I price my mulch jobs by the cu. yd. Figure your area to be mulched, for example 155' long x 4' wide x 2" thick =1240 divide by 324 to change that to cu. yd. = 3.8 cu. yd. Now I charge between $60 - $100 a cu. yd. installed depending on the type of mulch, difficulty of the job etc. This includes edging, weeding, labor, and delivery. So 3.8 yd x$75 = $285
Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerway View Post
I price my mulch jobs by the cu. yd. Figure your area to be mulched, for example 155' long x 4' wide x 2" thick =1240 divide by 324 to change that to cu. yd. = 3.8 cu. yd. Now I charge between $60 - $100 a cu. yd. installed depending on the type of mulch, difficulty of the job etc. This includes edging, weeding, labor, and delivery. So 3.8 yd x$75 = $285
Im good on getting my price. I need a better way of figuring out all the bulk material I will need. Figuring the area can take a wile, especially if there are lots of beds that are all different shapes and sizes. I know that there is about 4 to 5 wheelbarrow loads per yard(for my size wheelbarrow) and i have a good idea of how far each load gets me. What do you guys use to figure out the material you need?
Old 03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Measure them and always get more than you need. You can't go wrong using that formula. It doesn't matter what shape they are, if its a circle bed, you can measure the square outside that circle, same with oval/oval with 2 trees in it and same with hexagon full hostas.

Bed 1 - 10ftx15ft - 150ft2
Bed2 - 10ftx10ft - 100ft2 = 475 ft2
Bed 3 - 15ftx15ft - 225ft2

I want to mulch these beds with mulch at 3 inches thick and from the square footage above I will need 4.4 yards of mulch to do this. Since I know I underestimated a couple beds and over estimated 1 of the beds I will need a bit more than that to make up the difference and prefer to be safe so I would get 5 yards to do the job. I KNOW I have enough to do the job now, I KNOW I won't need to make another trip because I underestimated. WORST case scenario I have a bit left over to do with what I please.

Figuring an area should only take a few minutes. Anything less than actually measuring your square footage is just guessing and will lead to lost money.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

I usually use my measuring wheel and write down the measurements, then calculate up how much mulch I need. You get good at it real quick.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

What about digging out to be able to put down 2-3" of mulch? What do you do with what you dig out?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane772 View Post
What about digging out to be able to put down 2-3" of mulch? What do you do with what you dig out?
Why would you dig it out? You just put the mulch on top. I always put down 2-3 inches of mulch right on top of the dirt.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
Im good on getting my price. I need a better way of figuring out all the bulk material I will need. Figuring the area can take a wile, especially if there are lots of beds that are all different shapes and sizes. I know that there is about 4 to 5 wheelbarrow loads per yard(for my size wheelbarrow) and i have a good idea of how far each load gets me. What do you guys use to figure out the material you need?
I eye ball my mulch jobs, done it enough times that I can look at beds and add the yards up as I walk around. I'm usually accurate within a yard or few.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Google landscape mulch calculator. There are a few on the web. Just enter the bed size and depth and it will tell you the number of yards, 2 cuft bags, or 3 cuft bags you will need.

The hardest part is the measuring of the beds. I normally figure 3" depth to make sure I have enough.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
I eye ball my mulch jobs, done it enough times that I can look at beds and add the yards up as I walk around. I'm usually accurate within a yard or few.
Posted via Mobile Device
same here .. does your prep hours come in around the same as yards you come up with ?