Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

97 F350 tailight trouble

I'm in the process of replacing my bed with a flatbed..and I've came across a
issue with the tail lights, when I removed the wiring from the bed, there was a 'lead' on both sides running up to the bed pockets, possibly aux lights?

my issue is I can't get anything to light up on the passenger side, drivers side is all good.

In the mean time I've been using magnetic tow lights, which for days have worked flawlessly, untill today only have "running" lights on the passenger side and full function on the drivers side.

So heres where you guys come in, any one have any leads on the color guide or wiring diagram?
Google is useless.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXRAY View Post
untill today only have "running" lights on the passenger side and full function on the drivers side.
You can try your local Ford Truck Service Dept, if they are any good, they might fax you a wiring diagram.....

If not, go to your local auto parts store and get a Heyne (sp?) manual for your truck, I know they have the wiring layout in there.

If your 97 is anything like the 99 F 450 I have to deal with, all the wiring should run up along the divers side frame rail right to the back, where it will branch off. Don't know if you have 2 fuse boxes, one under the dash by the steering wheel and one under the hood by the master cylinder. If you have checked all the fuses and relays, then it's time to get the test light out.....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

www.fordtruckenthusiasts.com

Oldtimer
Old 03-22-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Test light time. But have you cked the bulb itself?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Might also be a ground issue. Usually you get those on trailers, not the tow vehicle, because the ground isn't making good contact, either where it meets the frame, or it isn't grounding the whole frame back to where the lights are. If you are replacing the bed you may have eliminated the connection for the ground to follow to the lights. You've gotta have a good ground as well as a hot lead.