Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

beat that dead horse- Timemaster vs Cub Cadet CC 760 ES 33"

Hi guys-

Here's the deal- I have a Toro Timemaster being delivered most likely today to replace my Honda HRX217VKA 21". The Honda was a great mower, but with my growing family (1 kid with 1 one the way) I need to cut down on the 1.5 hours it takes me to mow the lawn. In the fall, I get heavy leaf fall and will use it for leaf mulching as well.

The Timemaster seemed like the obvious solution, but after reading reviews here and every other website I could find I'm worried I might regret the purchase. Basically it seems the mower is cheaply built and underpowered (the exact opposite of the Honda).

Now I'm intrigued by the Cub Cadet 33" walk behind for several reasons. I like the fact it comes with a Cub Cadet engine, as BS is not too popular on this forum. It has a larger engine than the Toro albeit heavier by 100lbs. I don't mind paying up for the Cub Cadet if it's worth it.

I'm also curious if Toro has worked out an of the bugs ( leaking oil and gas, etc.).

Just looking for some opinions as I've been going back and forth since I ordered the Toro a couple weeks ago. What would you guys do? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_mower View Post
Hi guys-

Here's the deal- I have a Toro Timemaster being delivered most likely today to replace my Honda HRX217VKA 21". The Honda was a great mower, but with my growing family (1 kid with 1 one the way) I need to cut down on the 1.5 hours it takes me to mow the lawn. In the fall, I get heavy leaf fall and will use it for leaf mulching as well.

The Timemaster seemed like the obvious solution, but after reading reviews here and every other website I could find I'm worried I might regret the purchase. Basically it seems the mower is cheaply built and underpowered (the exact opposite of the Honda).

Now I'm intrigued by the Cub Cadet 33" walk behind for several reasons. I like the fact it comes with a Cub Cadet engine, as BS is not too popular on this forum. It has a larger engine than the Toro albeit heavier by 100lbs. I don't mind paying up for the Cub Cadet if it's worth it.

I'm also curious if Toro has worked out an of the bugs ( leaking oil and gas, etc.).

Just looking for some opinions as I've been going back and forth since I ordered the Toro a couple weeks ago. What would you guys do? Thanks for your help!
I don't know if they have worked out all the kinks yet but if you think that Cub makes their own engine your not thinking right. It is most likely a Briggs with a Cub Sticker on it.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most guys here mow for a living...thus putting a +/-year's on their mowers every week. I suspect you'll be pleased with that Toro. If not, you can likely take (some) action since you'll have a residential warranty. Good dealer support is crucial here. Happy mowing!!

PS I will recommend you run ethanol-free fuel in ALL your outdoor power equipment...even if this means having to buy premium octane ethanol-free fuel.

Here's a list of stations in Missiouri:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MO

Also, make REAL sure you properly Winterize your equipment this coming Fall. If it doesn't start in the Spring '15, then you'll likely have a long repair wait at the mower shop.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Cub will have a Chinese engine on it. Most likely a B&S clone. I used to be a Cub dealer and know that mower well. It is the old Troy-Bilt 33" mulching mower, cheapened up. I think you made the right decision. The Cub 33" is a pretty flimsy, cheap-built machine.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sildoc View Post
I don't know if they have worked out all the kinks yet but if you think that Cub makes their own engine your not thinking right. It is most likely a Briggs with a Cub Sticker on it.
Hmmm...you may be right, but the engine is described on their website as a "420cc Cub Cadet® OHV".

Thanks for the advice, Valk. I'll be sure to use ethanol free fuel on whatever the new mower is. I do use stabilizer on my mowers, power washer, snow thrower, etc. and run the gas out of them prior to extended down time.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I used to be a Cub dealer and know that mower well.
I'll take your word for it then.

I've done my research so I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is there anything in the Timemaster class (wide cut residential mower) that anyone can vouch for? I'd be all over a Honda if they choose to compete in this arena. Seems like it would be a home run for them.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_mower View Post
I'll take your word for it then.

I've done my research so I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is there anything in the Timemaster class (wide cut residential mower) that anyone can vouch for? I'd be all over a Honda if they choose to compete in this arena. Seems like it would be a home run for them.
If all else fails and the briggs chunks on the mower you can put a 300 dollar honda engine on it really easy. I have the same briggs on an aerator and it runs fine and have never had a problem.
Exact Rototilling runs the Time master commercially and he loves it. Check out some of the exmark 30 and turfmaster threads. or search exact rototilling.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The only other mower that is similar in price and design, that I think is worth looking at, is the Gravely 33". Since I am not familiar at all with the Toro, I can not tell you how they compare. I can tell you that the Gravely 33" is a much better machine than the Cub 33" in design and build quality.

Tags
cub cadet 33" , timemaster