Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Machines to clear Tines/Scarifacation debris

Hello.

Is there such a machine, which effectivley clears hollow tines and heavy moss/thatch debris which is left behind by scarifyers and hollow tining machines?

on a daily basis i visit many lawns, performing hollow tining/scarifying.

raking and bagging is the most time consuming part of the day.

i was wondering if there is anything you guys can reccomened which clears this kind of debris? which is small enough to fit in a van and to get around the average 100-200 meter lawn?

thanks.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

somthing that basicly scoops up into a bag to save me raking it all manually.

i have seen basic push lawn sweepers

but i am not sure if they will be able to cope with this degree of debris
Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn dood View Post
somthing that basicly scoops up into a bag to save me raking it all manually.

i have seen basic push lawn sweepers

but i am not sure if they will be able to cope with this degree of debris
If I understand the question correctly, you're looking for something to pick up thatch and cores left on the lawn after treatment? Couldn't you use a mower with a bagger to pick it all up? I haven't ever de-thatched/aerated but most guys use a bag mower to pick up thatch debris, and usually leave cores to decompose or run over them with a mulch mower to grind them up and return them to the soil on top.

Edit: this information I only know from reading / watching what other guys on LS have posted. As I said, I haven't done de-thatching or aerating yet as I'm a new business
Old 03-23-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesLawnCareWV View Post
If I understand the question correctly, you're looking for something to pick up thatch and cores left on the lawn after treatment? Couldn't you use a mower with a bagger to pick it all up? I haven't ever de-thatched/aerated but most guys use a bag mower to pick up thatch debris, and usually leave cores to decompose or run over them with a mulch mower to grind them up and return them to the soil on top.

Edit: this information I only know from reading / watching what other guys on LS have posted. As I said, I haven't done de-thatching or aerating yet as I'm a new business
yes, after treatment somthing to collect thatch/cores

a mower won't touch the cores, and trying to mow over the removed thatch/moss causes the bag to fill in about 2 seconds, and only ever picks up a very small percentage of the debris, the rest is just kicked out to the side of the mower.

my current method is;

1) rake into lots of little piles
2) use large leaf collector claws to grab large amounts at once
3) throw into big ton bags

i have had a few jobs where i have filled up over 30 ton bags of moss/thatch!

i would say 80% of the hard work right now is bagging and raking.

i real back breaker!

idealy i need somthing with the power to collect, and a large enough capacity to make it worthwhile, along with being convienient enough to use on average domestic lawns
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can imagine its rough to pick all that up by hand. Like I said, my info is only from what I've read. I've seen guys post pictures/videos of using a de-thatcher then a large ZT mower with a bagging system to pick up the thatch debris. Always seems to work out okay, but maybe its because they are larger machines with more power. I can see a push mower getting bogged down really quick if there's a lot of thatch debris. The guys who mention mulching the cores usually say they core-aerate and leave the cores to dry for a few hours/days, then come back later and mulch them once they're dry and light weight. Again, I'm new to the industry so I don't have experience doing this practice. Just reading.

Good luck thought, I hope you can find a better method! My leaf jobs consist of a lot of raking/manual bagging and I know how tiring and back-breaking it can be!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf rake with bagger?

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn dood View Post
Hello.

Is there such a machine, which effectivley clears hollow tines and heavy moss/thatch debris which is left behind by scarifyers and hollow tining machines?

on a daily basis i visit many lawns, performing hollow tining/scarifying.

raking and bagging is the most time consuming part of the day.

i was wondering if there is anything you guys can reccomened which clears this kind of debris? which is small enough to fit in a van and to get around the average 100-200 meter lawn?

thanks.
You are talking about aerating

I have seen ones that mount on a ez go cart that golf courses use but the only thing that I know of is a shove and rake that will fit in a van.

So if you remove dirt from a lawn every day wont the lawns get ?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I know core aerating is better, but I would go with a solid tine aerator versus having to clean up all the plugs. The plugs should be left, but I know that some clients don't like the look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLarson View Post
I know core aerating is better, but I would go with a solid tine aerator versus having to clean up all the plugs. The plugs should be left, but I know that some clients don't like the look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Glad someone else said this. I have a power rake dethatch overseed combo here in a bit. The plan is to low mow down to 1.5" with G6 gators and full side discharge once verticut with seeder bar only instead of flail blades along with seed. Make 2-3 passes with my plugr 850 [equivalent of 6-8 passes with a rolling tine unit...let plugs dry a tad...mulch plate mow with G6 blades and break up all those plugs back down on the lawn. Let frost heave and spring rains take it from there.
Posted via Mobile Device