Register free!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you ever hired a girl for field work?

I have one coming in for an interview, looks good on paper, sounds good on the phone, has the experience and actually enjoys this kind of work. This is such a male dominated field it always makes me second guess when we get female applicants. Up until now, they've all just been looking for something to do until something better came along but this one actually wants a career in this industry.

I guess I'm just curious if any of you guys have had experience with female employees in the field and how it worked out. I remember SheShovel always seemed more than competent and really at the end of the day, if someone can do the work, gets along well with the customers and staff and will stick around, I don't think I care whether that someone is male or female.

Discuss.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I realize this is a little different situation but My sister has worked for me when she was home from collage. She got along with my other employee fine but it was on new construction jobs where things got tricky. Even though my guy was respectfully that wasn't always the case for other people on the job.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My 25 year old daughter worked for me for about 3 seasons. The first year she was just a member of the crew. The next 2 years, she was a crew leader, but worked right alongside the guys. Never had any problems with her work, as she wanted to prove she could outwork the men.
The clients did not know she was my daughter. I got a lot of compliments on her work, and they often mentioned she worked harder than some of the men.
I have a good friend who is in the tree trimming and removal business. He has a gal in her mid 30's, working for him, and she is a heck of a hard worker. I think she has been with him for 4 or 5 years now.
So, I really don't see a problem, as long as the person is willing to work and do what they are instructed to do.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area, some of the nicest looking spots are the entrances to the nicer hoods.

At one of the nicer entrances, from what i could tell while at the stop sign for a very breif few seconds, the irrigation was done by a girl who was working alone. And her by herself was all the supervision she needed to really "get after it", during summer months.

Though I have no idea who she is:
Much Respect for her strength of mind that we all know such a feat requires of her!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have currently one that works as a fertilizer/weed control technician. I had another that was a crew leader for lawn mowing and also did irrigation work. Women are no different than men, if you don't earn the respect of your peers then you cannot command authority when needed.

People are people you will have just as many successes as failures regardless if they are a man or woman.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

In service work, I think it would be better to have women working most the time. In my opinion , most women are more detail oriented and will handle the paperwork and billing onsite better. I also think older female customers would feel more comfortable with a female tech entering their home, and won't feel like men are ripping them off.

And of course, the male chauvinistic pig customers would enjoy watching them walk around the yard getting soaked by the sprinklers. Which could then lead to other issues and me breaking some customers' legs.

I do truly wish more women were in our industry.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

can you explain these pig customers please Mr. Mac?

I cannot understand them, though I FEEL that I have tried using, (supposing there were infact a kind god), whatever logic and reasoning he would use.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is kind of my thought process. My guess would be that women have a hard time finding a field job in this industry and that this makes them feel as though they need to "prove themselves" constantly. I also think that in general, women are more detail oriented and will probably do a better job with customer communications. I also hope that because of the difficulty that I'm guessing they have being taken seriously when applying for this kind of work that they will be more loyal to those that are willing to give them an opportunity, as long as they're treated fairly.

We'll see how it goes, hopefully she's as good in person as she's been on paper and the phone.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hired one in 2000 and she work till spring 2013 She got sick and past away She was the best worker I ever had Last year I was lost with out her
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

wow that must be hard to lose a worker. couldnt imagine that happening. But to your question, I know one landscaping company actually owned by a girl and another who just works for one and plenty more but what im getting at, is that she had to have been taught by someone so why not hire a girl. i wouldnt give any special attention or anything but a worker is a worker as long as they keep the same productivity.