Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Please accept my apology I researched licensing in Maryland and discovered why you feel the way you do about my comments. Sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
The fact that they only protect the consumers?

The fact that I have to show my personal assets bank accounts and mortgage for a license?

It's a joke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its just a shame that any job would ever have to come to this ! In a perfect world the customer would hand us cash upon completion but unfortunately that not the case.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Its just a shame that any job would ever have to come to this ! In a perfect world the customer would hand us cash upon completion but unfortunately that not the case.
You know what really pisses me off about those people?

He refused to pay right. He can't afford it blah blah blah typical bullshit. He wanted all this work done. New patio landscaping mulch etc. he couldn't even pay my weekly mowing price. But he's worth millions. Has 100s of houses.

So after 3 months or so of cutting for free. I tell him no more. You pay up ill cut it.

He calls 3 weeks later screaming at me that has grass is 3 ft high. I simply said. My bank account is 3 grand light. Fix it.

This dude sends me a check for $300. I'm like really? Of course he doesn't live there. Lives somewhere else where we never found lol

So another 3 months I files collections etc.

Go by his house right before I filed. New patio landscaping mulch etc.

So now I still haven't got the money. And can't help but think karma is on to me now because I ran into money problems last year. But I knew he could pay he just refused. Hence the federal liens.

Sometimes I wish I just let it go. But when you're small $3k is a good chunk of change
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a good point here about account's receivable in the service industry.

I do most of my work as a sub to one company. At one point this spring they owed me 15k and hadn't pain in 75 days. I wasn't sweating it. Why? Because I had a contract that insured that I would be compensated. My "liens" were secured when the contract was signed. I knew from day one what my exposure was, and had remedies in place to cover that exposure.

The other way I do work is to get a % up front, and invoice in stages. I make sure that I've always already been paid for the direct costs I'm incurring. This way I limit my exposure to overhead and profit.

The time to deal with client's that are late paying is before they're late.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
I agree. At walk through the customer should have checkbook in hand and you any instructions, registration papers for equipment and an invoice.

Send me a bill doesn't cut it, hand deliver.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You know what really pisses me off about those people?

I simply said. My bank account is 3 grand light. Fix it.

Posted via Mobile Device
If that was a direct quote that is awesome
Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If that was a direct quote that is awesome
Yup direct quote. I was pissed and tired of his BS.

Think I may stop by there tomorrow. Almost 3 years later. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I can empathize with all the other small businesses and needing to get paid. It is just me and a few guys that work for me. Sometimes making payroll can be tough and it seems like most customers don't care. It is not uncommon for me to have 40k+ on the street. At one point I had over 120k that was more than 60 days past. I start to sweat the little jobs that are a couple 100 dollars. It all adds up.

It seems like most of my commercial work is 30 days but that always turns into at least 60 sometimes 90. I understand why contractors do it. Or at least I think I do. Why use their money when they can wait and pay when they get paid.

I have credit with all my distributors because they know that I will pay promptly whether I get paid or not.

Lately I have been thinking I must be doing it all wrong because all my bills are paid and I feel like I am constantly broke, unlike a lot of the guys I work for.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not just you man, I am in the same boat.

I have one company I work for that the AP people are told that if someone calls looking for a check, put it back in the drawer for another 30 days. its very tough working as a sub. we are downsizing our business just due to this fact. even when our attorneys get involved in collecting the money and we win, we still lose....

I have also had some success offering commercial customers 2% off say net 10. sure it sucks it eats into the margins but what would your carrying costs be if you bought all the material on credit and then not get paid for 90 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1471 View Post
I can empathize with all the other small businesses and needing to get paid. It is just me and a few guys that work for me. Sometimes making payroll can be tough and it seems like most customers don't care. It is not uncommon for me to have 40k+ on the street. At one point I had over 120k that was more than 60 days past. I start to sweat the little jobs that are a couple 100 dollars. It all adds up.

It seems like most of my commercial work is 30 days but that always turns into at least 60 sometimes 90. I understand why contractors do it. Or at least I think I do. Why use their money when they can wait and pay when they get paid.

I have credit with all my distributors because they know that I will pay promptly whether I get paid or not.

Lately I have been thinking I must be doing it all wrong because all my bills are paid and I feel like I am constantly broke, unlike a lot of the guys I work for.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand why when we do commercial work we can just charge their card.

My father worked for fed gov for 20 years. First 5 years they paid by check but then one got lost in the mail. Which was a good chunk of money. Ever since that they gave him a card/number and said charge X on this day.

Why can't everyone do that? No bullshit in getting your money. We do our work in a timely manner. Why wait 30-60-90 days to get paid.

Hell yesterday was just go paid for feb 14th storm. That was an exception though it never takes that long. Weird
Posted via Mobile Device