Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-13-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I don't understand why when we do commercial work we can just charge their card.

My father worked for fed gov for 20 years. First 5 years they paid by check but then one got lost in the mail. Which was a good chunk of money. Ever since that they gave him a card/number and said charge X on this day.

Why can't everyone do that? No bullshit in getting your money. We do our work in a timely manner. Why wait 30-60-90 days to get paid.

Hell yesterday was just go paid for feb 14th storm. That was an exception though it never takes that long. Weird
Posted via Mobile Device

because for every one landscaper that has this position (the right position btw), there are 20 others who are willing to extend credit just to get the work.. never going to change!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take your fence back.

I had a client refuse to pay for a retaining wall and some gravel bed installs at an apartment complex he was trying to sell. I went on open house day when all the realtors were there and started demoing the wall with a Bobcat crew and yanking plants out.

This was, of course, after every single attempt at being civilized and trying to collect the balance. Finally, the time for diplomacy was up...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
Take your fence back.

I had a client refuse to pay for a retaining wall and some gravel bed installs at an apartment complex he was trying to sell. I went on open house day when all the realtors were there and started demoing the wall with a Bobcat crew and yanking plants out.

This was, of course, after every single attempt at being civilized and trying to collect the balance. Finally, the time for diplomacy was up...
Did you read the thread? Lol

You can end up costing yourself a lot more than what it is worth doing stuff like that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Take your fence back.

You're from Texas and in being such you're fully aware that you were in fact trespassing and could have been considered an armed invader. Anyone with the balls to destroy another's property and jeopardize his guests safety could have been shot graveyard dead and the owner would have prolly only had to answer a few questions.

I'm on your side (having lost a ton to bankruptcies but) two wrongs won't make these things right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea they could have buried you with your bobcat. I doubt this actually happened though you sure seem cool on the internet.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I had an attorney write up my contracts and he put this section in there for issues like this.
6. Contractor’s Property: Until payment is received in full by the Contractor from the Owner; all materials, drawings and specifications, if any, remain the property of the Contractor.

So basically I own everything until I am paid in full and since it is my property I am allowed access to it. That is how he explained it to me. I haven't had to worry about it yet... Knock on wood...
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter what you're contract says. You would be trespassing the minute you set foot on someone's property
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Doesn't matter what you're contract says. You would be trespassing the minute you set foot on someone's property
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you a property law attorney, or a landscaper?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Wow
Old 05-13-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Are you a property law attorney, or a landscaper?
Posted via Mobile Device
You're in Texas. Go ahead and try it and see what happens.

And I'm neither. I'm a businessman that covers his ass. I know damn well a contract is not worth the paper it is written on. If you're on someone's property uninvited you're trespassing. End of discussion
Posted via Mobile Device