Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

walk behind?

Hi everyone, Was gonna ask this in the homeowner section cause I cant call myself much more at the time, but all I could find in there was zero turn questions. Im slowly trying to start my own company, it wouldnt be a lawncare based company, but through some of the jobs Ive done in the past Ive found myself mowing a few lawns, probably down to only 2 this year. I have a brand new 21" Toro mower right now but Id like something a tad bigger. I know I want a walk behind and Im not wanting to go any bigger than a 36" I used some Lesco 48"s briefly in the one summer I worked for a local lawn care outfit, but I dont know enough as to buy one. I looked into an Ariens mower, I think it was called something loke a WAW 36 but heard nothing but bad. Any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerkev View Post
Hi everyone, Was gonna ask this in the homeowner section cause I cant call myself much more at the time, but all I could find in there was zero turn questions. Im slowly trying to start my own company, it wouldnt be a lawncare based company, but through some of the jobs Ive done in the past Ive found myself mowing a few lawns, probably down to only 2 this year. I have a brand new 21" Toro mower right now but Id like something a tad bigger. I know I want a walk behind and Im not wanting to go any bigger than a 36" I used some Lesco 48"s briefly in the one summer I worked for a local lawn care outfit, but I dont know enough as to buy one. I looked into an Ariens mower, I think it was called something loke a WAW 36 but heard nothing but bad. Any suggestions?
For a walk behind, a 36 is fine if you don't want to go up to a 48. They're not great for big lawns, but for small lots and areas with gates they're awesome.

Don't buy a home depot ariens, please. For way less money you can buy a quality used one on Craiglist, and it'll last you WAY longer and hold more value. Bobcat, Scag, Gravely, Exmark, Ferris are all good. I don't tend to have a brand loyalty because every brand has their ups and downs for different pieces of equipment. Exmark makes a great 36 walk behind.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro TimeMaster/TurfMaster or eXmark Commercial 30"?

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Ive been keeping an eye out on cragslist. Not finding much that isnt going for over $2,000 at the moment, but Ill keep looking. Can find better deals on larger units. Part of the reason I want the smaller size though is the one large lawn I have is very hilly, so a smaller size would keep the scalping down hopefully.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I was just looking today at a Toro timeMaster. Goes for about 1,000 bucks new around here. Any feedback on these? They sell em everywhere but Ive yet to see a single one in use
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerkev View Post
I was just looking today at a Toro timeMaster. Goes for about 1,000 bucks new around here. Any feedback on these? They sell em everywhere but Ive yet to see a single one in use
Search the forum, as there are numerous threads with a tremendous number of pages to read through. Hope you got plenty of time for reading.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 03-25-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you will be happy with a 36" walk behind.

something like a ferris hydro cut will probably fit your needs, very simple operation, commercial construction.

I personally would prefer a dual hydro if I'm going have a hydro… but it's quite a bit more expensive…

If you want to lean the groove… a belt drive 36" walk behind is easy, simple and relatively inexpensive… $3500.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If scalping is a concern, see if any of them are floating decks vs fixed decks. you can run a 48" floating deck and not have to worry about scalping as much.

Usually if you're scalping with a fixed deck walk behind, you're either not paying attention to the turf or you're cutting too low.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
If scalping is a concern, see if any of them are floating decks vs fixed decks. you can run a 48" floating deck and not have to worry about scalping as much.

Usually if you're scalping with a fixed deck walk behind, you're either not paying attention to the turf or you're cutting too low.
its pretty rare to scalp with a 36" deck…. you've got to be cutting stalactites.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
its pretty rare to scalp with a 36" deck…. you've got to be cutting stalactites.
He said he was finding better deals on larger units, that's why I wAs suggesting using one if it was floating.

It's possible to scalp with a 36, like a said, cutting too low or not paying attention. Really simple things. After doing this for years, I've learned that nothing is impossible for someone who is hopelessly stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device