Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have an opinion one way or the other…just invest in a commercial mower.

If 21's are all you have, the next logical step is a 48" walk behind…you only have 20 lawns, not enough to justify 15k on a single mower.

walker is a great machine, but get 40 lawns… they are expensive.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I was looking at the walker mower and the price is what scares most guys including me. Like I said I have 20 lawns and I'm thinking I will get a few more this year. If you take care of a walker from new would it last 10 or more years if so it seems like a good investment. I could pick up a used one on kijiji but what am I really getting who knows.

As you can see I'm on the fence lol.

I also do tree removal, stump removal, sod jobs, interlocking , trimming of hedges, install mulch, gardens, Monday to Wed, Thursday and into Friday lawns. I like cutting the lawns because its steady and at the end of the month can pay the bills.

I'm not a big company, I stay humble, honest and work hard like you guys and it would be nice while cutting lawns to sit a bit lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie James View Post
What do you prefer the walker or navigator.
Walker.

Why buy an imitation when you can have the real thing.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 03-28-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie James View Post
I was looking at the walker mower and the price is what scares most guys including me. Like I said I have 20 lawns and I'm thinking I will get a few more this year. If you take care of a walker from new would it last 10 or more years if so it seems like a good investment. I could pick up a used one on kijiji but what am I really getting who knows.

As you can see I'm on the fence lol.

I also do tree removal, stump removal, sod jobs, interlocking , trimming of hedges, install mulch, gardens, Monday to Wed, Thursday and into Friday lawns. I like cutting the lawns because its steady and at the end of the month can pay the bills.

I'm not a big company, I stay humble, honest and work hard like you guys and it would be nice while cutting lawns to sit a bit lol.
With part time use any commercial mower will last 10+ years if taken care of. I've had a belt drive WB for 11years and a 56" ztr for 10 that still look and run great doing 3-4 days a week mowing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at used ones also but I'm going to have to be careful I don't enjoy wasting money.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How would you describe your average lawn? 6k sq ft? 10K? 2 acres? You could easily get by with a used 52" or 60" walk behind and get everything done in a day to a day and a half depending on how much you drive and the size of your properties. the are full size Turf Tracers on Ebay for less than $3000 most of the time. Some are probably better than others but all are a lot cheaper than some sort of bagging mower.

Another thought: if you use a 21" a lot consider getting a 30". It will save a good bit of time as well.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are many Walkers older than 10 years still in front line service. Several members on here have Walkers with over or near 4000 hours on original drive train. Mine is a 2003 and runs perfect. They have around 30 grease fittings, automotive style bearings, even little parts can be replaced individually as/if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That being said they can be money pits as well. Try and find someone who is familiar with them if you go look at used they can show you typical wear parts and know what to listen for ect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you need a Walker if you don't bag? Nobody around here bags and I've never even heard of Walker til I joined this site. So, I'm curious. I doubt I could even buy one around here.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
There are many Walkers older than 10 years still in front line service. Several members on here have Walkers with over or near 4000 hours on original drive train. Mine is a 2003 and runs perfect. They have around 30 grease fittings, automotive style bearings, even little parts can be replaced individually as/if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
One guy on here has 7,000 hrs on his.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight