Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie James View Post
Hello I have been cutting lawns on my own for 5 years and there all residential and every property is different, some have some hills, some I have to use my 21 inch toro and some are huge. Anyways right now I cut 20 lawns and I might be getting a few more so my question is I looked at the walker mower , toro navigator, wright stand on and hydrostatic toro.

What would you suggest thanks.
James, the walker is a great mower from what I hear and have researched (ultimately I went with a scag turf tiger for my needs). The navigator seems to be just like the walker, varying somewhat I'm sure; But the navigator is going to be discontinued from what I heard from a local dealer. They are however going to offer $2,500 off all navigator models so that's pretty huge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
James, the walker is a great mower from what I hear and have researched (ultimately I went with a scag turf tiger for my needs). The navigator seems to be just like the walker, varying somewhat I'm sure; But the navigator is going to be discontinued from what I heard from a local dealer. They are however going to offer $2,500 off all navigator models so that's pretty huge.
Posted via Mobile Device
You may be correct about the Navigator being discontinued. Only thought against that rumor is Toro has added an identical version to their lineup.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
You may be correct about the Navigator being discontinued. Only thought against that rumor is Toro has added an identical version to their lineup.
might be that exmark stops carrying that model and toro starts carrying similar updated model.

toro used to ave something years ago like it… i can't recall what it was called… it hunk it was just a number, like r2d2 blah blah blah…I've seen a few of them
Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
Look into exmark also. They own toro and are the same mowers, but more heavy duty
Other way around Toro bought exmark. They clearly share some engineering on certain projects but the decks are still quite different.

I think before we start pushing brands on the op and Iv owned 7 exmarks for full disclosure. But I think the first thing that needs to be decided is what size mower to get then that will rule out some brands and may choose others with that info.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Other way around Toro bought exmark. They clearly share some engineering on certain projects but the decks are still quite different.

I think before we start pushing brands on the op and Iv owned 7 exmarks for full disclosure. But I think the first thing that needs to be decided is what size mower to get then that will rule out some brands and may choose others with that info.
so then your saying the Husky 'flymow' is still in the running? Good news!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post

All of the above + finding out what brands are available in his area.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned a few Walkers and currently own the Navigator EFI. Hands down the Navigator wins! Maybe I had lemon Walkers but they always seemed very fragile, I had many breakdowns and problems with the deck on the Walkers. The Walkers were older models and they may have changed in the last few years.

I still think the Walkers are good mowers and are extremely popular in my area. The Navigator just seems so much more "heavy duty" than the walkers. For example the deck pins for the height adjustment are about 2x as thick on the Navigator and thread into the deck. They're welded onto the Walker deck meaning if you hit something hard and bend those pins they have to be cut off and new ones welded on.

Belt access and maintenance seem easier on the Navigator also. Cut quality I'd call them roughly a draw, the Navigator seems to be able to mow faster through thick grass and still maintain a good cut quality.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with the Walker or the Navigator. Just be prepared to have a lot of grass clippings to get rid of, they pile up REAL fast. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Something I happened to come across on Youtube. Unbiased just take it however you want to. lol I'm pretty sure they are a Exmark dealer so of course they will say that Exmark is better but a good comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePLUolNGItA --- There is a part two in the related videos
Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
so then your saying the Husky 'flymow' is still in the running? Good news!
I don't have a dog in that fight he's free to buy what ever he wants I just felt he should pick a size and style mower over brand. He is very small and what works for me isn't going to for him.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait just a minute!!!!!

Are these Navigator rumors true?

Wouldn't that be the second time the Navigator has been taken off the shelf?

I was just posting in a frontrunner thread 2 seconds ago...

Exmark has such an awesome thing going with the Lazer and the Turf Tracer that I refuse to believe they can't get out front mowers right...

If they would just give the Nav's some attachments and an ultracut deck, all would be good!

And this all coming from the World's biggest Walker fanatic!