Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scag2015 View Post
Oh and to reply to that, some way or the other (savings or "loan" from grandpa or a family member could be available) what are you suggesting, get something bigger/nicer or pay a little bit over my budget for the bobcat? Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, you've got several things working for you. No overhead to speak of, several accounts in pocket already and its an assett that can always be sold if things don't pan out. More reason to get as nice as you can now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Yes, you've got several things working for you. No overhead to speak of, several accounts in pocket already and its an assett that can always be sold if things don't pan out. More reason to get as nice as you can now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Truth, generally used mowers will sustain their value, particularly belt driven walk behinds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
So what is your opinion? I need somthing big enough to do a 3.5 acre property, but would like something small enough to do my small yards also (so looking at a 36in) I'm not doing any hilly yards so a belt drive should do for me I love scag walk behinds but I can't spend $5000 right now. What are your suggestions? Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pony up the few extra bucks on the Bobcat or wait for something else to come along. Go look at the Bobcat and give the owner your story. Personally I would eat a couple hundred on the sale to help a kid trying to get started. Maybe he will have a heart.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Pony up the few extra bucks on the Bobcat or wait for something else to come along. Go look at the Bobcat and give the owner your story. Personally I would eat a couple hundred on the sale to help a kid trying to get started. Maybe he will have a heart.
Posted via Mobile Device
sounds great! yeah I'll go with the bobcat or wait a little for maybe something eels that pops up thank you!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted to let you'll know that the guy who Is selling the ferris says it's like a 2004-2006 module. What you'll think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and he said everything works great (including the hydro) let me know!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The year is easily verified by the serial number. The hydros could be fine until they get hot or are put under full load with a sulky and rider. BTW does it come with a sulky? it still sounds too good to be true. Have him bring it, let your neighbor give it a look and roll the dice. I just hate the thought that you would be screwed out of your whole budget if it isn't a sound piece. Remember used stuff is sold as is. No lemon law. No crying to judge Judy if you get taken.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The year is easily verified by the serial number. The hydros could be fine until they get hot or are put under full load with a sulky and rider. BTW does it come with a sulky? it still sounds too good to be true. Have him bring it, let your neighbor give it a look and roll the dice. I just hate the thought that you would be screwed out of your whole budget if it isn't a sound piece.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes sir, thank you so much for watching out for me. And it does not come with a sulky, and I'll text him but I think he would only come to sell it not just look at it let me know what you think! Once again, thank you specifically to patriot but also all who have been helping me with this!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You aren't obligated to buy it just because he is bringing it to you. Don't get bullied into that. Have your parent out there with you. I've done car deals like that. Customer didn't like it when they saw it for real so I turn around and bring it back home. If it doesn't come with a sulky it kind of negates the big advantage of the hydros speed. I know everybody is saying to avoid the cub tractor but it might be a better all around choice right now. You can ride it to the jobs in your neighborhood and it will be more productive (less fatigue) now letting you quickly earn some money to upgrade. An older retired guy does just that in my community, has a little trailer with his handhelds and makes a few extra bucks. It would beat having to walk any mower a half mile just to get to the account.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 03-29-2014 at 11:04 PM.