Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ready to purchase my first zero turn...

I've been doing my homework since late last summer & think I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing my first zero turn. Based on all the research I've done & feedback I've reviewed, I'm seriously leaning toward the Bad Boy ZT Elite with a Kawi engine. They seem to be sturdy & a great value in comparison to others equal in features.

I have about an acre & a half of fairly level lawn & was considering the 48" deck. However, the difference in price between a 48" & 54" deck is a mere fifty bucks. Seems like a no brainer, but again, I'm new at this & I respect the opinions of all of you who've been doing this awhile. Thanks all!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have no width issues in your yard I wouldnt pass on the 54". Go for it!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

"ready" for a ZTR….why??

you've got one lawn?

why even spend that kind of money?

i guess i just don't get this ZTR fascination
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

@TPendagast
Primarily speed & maneuverability. My neighbor has a riding mower & spends hours on his lawn-something I'd like to avoid.

What do you recommend?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what your budget is but you should look at the Raptor and the FasTrak lines from Hustler. http://www.hustlerturf.com
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalphabet View Post
I've been doing my homework since late last summer & think I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing my first zero turn. Based on all the research I've done & feedback I've reviewed, I'm seriously leaning toward the Bad Boy ZT Elite with a Kawi engine. They seem to be sturdy & a great value in comparison to others equal in features.

I have about an acre & a half of fairly level lawn & was considering the 48" deck. However, the difference in price between a 48" & 54" deck is a mere fifty bucks. Seems like a no brainer, but again, I'm new at this & I respect the opinions of all of you who've been doing this awhile. Thanks all!
If you are only mowing 1.5 acres of level ground the elite series is a lot more mower than you need. I'd look at Bad Boys lower priced mowers. I mow 1.25 acres all hilly with an MZ 48 bad boy that I purchased at Tractor Supply 5 years ago, and it has been unstoppable. The price on the MZ line is still the same as when I bought mine 5 years ago. For your size lawn I'd save about 2-3 thousand dollars and get a more value line mower and they will still serve you well. I love the Bad Boys
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
"ready" for a ZTR….why??

you've got one lawn?

why even spend that kind of money?

i guess i just don't get this ZTR fascination
Thought I'd add why I wanted one:

I really wanted a commercial quality WB but in the end decided for a zturn, too. Reasons? Cost, and the ability to pull some attachments.I found it surprising how much it costs to buy a decent commercial grade WB- more than the residential zturn I bought. I look forward to dethatching in the spring instead of raking for a week. I look forward to bagging ten weekends of leaves in the fall instead of raking and tarping them, too. Finally, I'm getting tired of hoofing it, and I didn't want to do k-turns all afternoon on a LT.

Cheers!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For 1.5 acres het the 54"

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm no expert but I looked at everything I could find before pulling the trigger on an Exmark Lazer Z X Series 60" Kawasaki.

Even though Scag, Hustler, Kubota, Dixie Chopper and Bad Boy make really nice machines in the 10,000-11,000 range my choice finally came down to the fact that the Exmark dealer is 10 minutes away while the closest of any other was 30 minutes.

I wanted a machine that would comfortably cut 6 acres in less than 2 hours and be more mower than I'd ever be able to stress.

Today was my first experience. Driving it off the trailer in my yard was my first time at the controls of a zero turn. Within 15 minutes, I felt comfortable driving. Within 30 minutes I was ok running WFO.

My wife had never run a zero turn either and was making that thing look easy within 30 minutes. It absolutely devoured the lawn mowing job at my house. The same work that would have taken 8 hours on a JD GT took 1.5 on the Exmark. I am really happy so far. Wife went out and recut what I'd done at 1.75 inch instead of the 2.5 inch.

I don't cut grass for a living but the Exmark made me feel a little like a pro.

My dog trusted us too...

Old 04-26-2014, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I'm no expert but I looked at everything I could find before pulling the trigger on an Exmark Lazer Z X Series 60" Kawasaki.

Even though Scag, Hustler, Kubota, Dixie Chopper and Bad Boy make really nice machines in the 10,000-11,000 range my choice finally came down to the fact that the Exmark dealer is 10 minutes away while the closest of any other was 30 minutes.

I wanted a machine that would comfortably cut 6 acres in less than 2 hours and be more mower than I'd ever be able to stress.

Today was my first experience. Driving it off the trailer in my yard was my first time at the controls of a zero turn. Within 15 minutes, I felt comfortable driving. Within 30 minutes I was ok running WFO.

My wife had never run a zero turn either and was making that thing look easy within 30 minutes. It absolutely devoured the lawn mowing job at my house. The same work that would have taken 8 hours on a JD GT took 1.5 on the Exmark. I am really happy so far. Wife went out and recut what I'd done at 1.75 inch instead of the 2.5 inch.

I don't cut grass for a living but the Exmark made me feel a little like a pro.

My dog trusted us too...

Hah!! Great pic! Congratulations on the rig. Seems like an excellent machine. Please post more pics of it.

DC