Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Lots of hills…whats wrong with Ferris controls for hills?
I wouldnt be concerned as much about the controls (whatever he feels most comfortable with should be a selling point) I would be more concerned about belt over hydro. If he has alot of hills, I would go for a hydro, more expensive, yes, but in the long run will save him a lot of frustration in my opinion. Not bashing ferris here, ive never even used one, but if it isnt a hydro, I wouldnt consider using it if he has alot of hills
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Porcupine Lawn and Snow's Avatar
Porcupine Lawn and Snow Porcupine Lawn and Snow is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Lots of hills…whats wrong with Ferris controls for hills?
In my opinion they require more effort than the ECS controls. The ECS controls also have a much better position that your hands are put in to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 PM
echo echo is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpotter0135 View Post
Hello all! I just signed up after seeing site around New England Grows this past February. We are looking to add at least one 36 inch mower to our set up if not two.

Last season we ran two guys with a John Deere 60 inch ztr, a wright stander RH 52 inch, and older bobcat WB 48, with a 21 inch snapper Push. That was our production crew set up and it went well. We have about 40 accounts from wide open areas, steep hilly properties, to a few gated pool areas.

We have expanded and picked up a ton of more lawns this year and need to add a 36 inch mower WB. I hate the bobcat and want to steer away from that brand. We are looking at The Ferris pistol, the Exxmark, scag 36, and the wright WB.

Ive always been a big fan of the Ferris WB pistol grip but have only used the 48 and 52 inch ones with the big tires. Does anyone have a 36? How is it on laying stripes? Hills?

Any input on any of these machines?
We have a Ferris 36 Comfort Control DD 36. Great machine. With the cruise bar its not your normal pistol machine. Set your speed and go. Super comfortable, great on hills, cuts nice, and easy to operate. I hope they never change the controls. If you don't need electric start and wanna save some money take a look at the Snapper Pro 36.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 03-30-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Holland's Avatar
Holland Holland is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 546
I run a 36 Viking. Killer little mower!
__________________
6X14 Open Trailer
Exmark 48 Turf Tracer (2)
Exmark 36 Viking
Honda 21 HR 215
Honda 21 HRC 216 (2)
Stihl Kombi 90 w/ Attatchments
Stihl Kombi 110
Shindaiwa 242 (with hedge attachment)
Shindaiwa 22T Trimmer (3)
Echo 225 Edger
Stihl BR400 Blower (2)
Stihl BR600 Blower
Red Max 2600 Blower
Stihl HS 46CE Hedge Trimmer
Honda Pressure Washer
Honda FG110 Tiller
Echo Chainsaw
Earthway 2150 Spreader
etc.......
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
jpotter0135 jpotter0135 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Tisbury Mass
Posts: 7
Money isn't an issue. I would never buy a belt drive after using hydros for so long. Really have it narrowed down to the exmark turf tracer S and the ferris dd
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 918
I can't comment on the ferris but you really cant go wrong with the exmark.
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Cuts Lawn Service View Post
I wouldnt be concerned as much about the controls (whatever he feels most comfortable with should be a selling point) I would be more concerned about belt over hydro. If he has alot of hills, I would go for a hydro, more expensive, yes, but in the long run will save him a lot of frustration in my opinion. Not bashing ferris here, ive never even used one, but if it isnt a hydro, I wouldnt consider using it if he has alot of hills

I don't think ferris makes a belt drive anymore.

Ferris made the first ever hydro walk behind…they are pretty much a hydro company.

They had a belt drive for a little while but ditched it…probably wasn't a big seller.

Ferris DD is a hydro mower DD standing for "dual drive"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine Lawn and Snow View Post
In my opinion they require more effort than the ECS controls. The ECS controls also have a much better position that your hands are put in to.
Posted via Mobile Device
I do not like ECS at all…

Ferris has a unique set of controls, and first glance they seem like a typical pistol grip but they are quite different, if you learn the controls well…they are a specifically suited for hilly terrain…. but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Other wise you can use them as typical pistol grips.

ECS is good for the vantage but crap for walk behinds IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
We have a Ferris 36 Comfort Control DD 36. Great machine. With the cruise bar its not your normal pistol machine. Set your speed and go. Super comfortable, great on hills, cuts nice, and easy to operate. I hope they never change the controls. If you don't need electric start and wanna save some money take a look at the Snapper Pro 36.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, this ^^

(and noted… we NEVER agree…so THIS must be true!)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
I don't think ferris makes a belt drive anymore.

Ferris made the first ever hydro walk behind…they are pretty much a hydro company.

They had a belt drive for a little while but ditched it…probably wasn't a big seller.

Ferris DD is a hydro mower DD standing for "dual drive"
Gotcha. Not really familiar with ferris machines
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.08326 seconds with 7 queries