Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

subscribing, because I am also looking for a 36" WB...how about the toro 36 with t-bar controls?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually have a 36 toro with t bars. That was my first commercial mower. Its a great little mower for anything but hills. Still love those t bar controls though
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Cuts Lawn Service View Post
I actually have a 36 toro with t bars. That was my first commercial mower. Its a great little mower for anything but hills. Still love those t bar controls though
why do you say anything but hills?

I ran a fleet of T Bar 44s and they were great on hills…heck they were great with everything… whats up with the 36?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I worded it wrong. Not all hills but I had this one hill in particular that I couldnt get that Tbar to do any good for the life of me. Other than that one property it was great at pretty much everything
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can the operator of any of these 36's mentioned pull back/push down on the handlebars/controls to raise the front end - like when mowing in uneven areas?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-31-2014, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Can the operator of any of these 36's mentioned pull back/push down on the handlebars/controls to raise the front end - like when mowing in uneven areas?
this is why I prefer pistol grips.

ECS sucks for that.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=TPendagast;5000442]this is why I prefer pistol grips.

ECS sucks for that.[/QUOTE

This is basically what I was trying to get at. Being on a steep hill and being able to muscle it to keep the machine straight or from flopping up. But nevertheless the more I look at my upcoming season and accounts the more important factor is adjustable cut height. Say we send one person out early in the week to hit our smaller or gated lawns and they need to be able to adjust heights on their own without a jack or half riding up ramps. I appreciate everyones input thus far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't used any of the newer 36in mowers but I did check out a Wright 36RH the other day at a dealer and I'm waiting to see the gravely 36 stander, I'll probably add one to the fleet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

imo the ecs handles are total trash because just like has been brought up you cant lean down on them to tilt mower up going over bumps or going up onto trailer . same thing if you have to push mower that isnt running / working , or have to use muscle to make it turn when wheels arent getting good traction . for instance i can run a 48 pistol grip up our trailer ramp with engine off , but the ecs theres no way because i cant get any where to place my hands and get push into it . our most recent purchase was an exmark 48 with ecs and i hate it because of handles and when im occasionally off the whip and mowing i leave it at the yard and take a 15 year old exmark pistol grip because it handles so easily . i walk into our dealer and now adays see all the exmark with nothing but ecs and i roll my eyes , if thats all they make i'll never buy another one .
Old 03-31-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=jpotter0135;5000485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
this is why I prefer pistol grips.

ECS sucks for that.[/QUOTE

This is basically what I was trying to get at. Being on a steep hill and being able to muscle it to keep the machine straight or from flopping up. But nevertheless the more I look at my upcoming season and accounts the more important factor is adjustable cut height. Say we send one person out early in the week to hit our smaller or gated lawns and they need to be able to adjust heights on their own without a jack or half riding up ramps. I appreciate everyones input thus far.
Posted via Mobile Device
you have two wants/needs working against each other here.

the adjustment you want is only going to be had with a floating deck.
But the floating deck is a lot heavier/ less easy to tilt back.

I really only find this a problem if I'm trying to pop up the deck to say jump a curb, or get on and off truck ramps, or travel through a swampy area or get out of a hole.

If you don't really do any of those things, there isn't much need to pop the deck up.
IF you are talking about just hilly/uneven terrain, then the floating deck handles that all on it's own, just like it would on a rider.

However if you are talking about trying to stick to the side of a hill (side hilling like a snowmobile in deep power)
The extra front weight of a floating deck works against you, because it's nose heavy and wants to drive down hill.

Im not fully understanding everyone's wild need to adjust deck heights all the time.

With a fixed deck, generally, you choose the lowest height of cut you are going to need, and set your deck for that.
Then if you need a higher deck adjustment (like say you come along high grass and need to double cut) you set the front caster spacers higher….do the first cut, then return the caster spacers to the normal setting and cut normally.

Th reason why it's not good to just do a single cut with the cater spacers in any position but the neutral is because you are changing deck pitch so it doesn't leave as good of a cut.
But if it's not going to be your final pass, it doesn't matter, you are just trying to chop down some of the jungle before your finish cut.

But in general, how often are you going out on a route and 25% of the lawns are at 2.5" finished cut, 50% of the lawns are at 3" finished cut, and the rest are al 3.5"?
Does this really happen?

I think most people only THINK it happens, but what they are really doing is adjusting height of cut because they come across a huge lawn, that needs to be managed down…but the end/finish cut is usually the same cut.

In the south however, with different lawns Zoiysa on this side of town, bermunda on that side of town…you might have a legitimate need to chage the height from lawn to lawn…