Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Non stick coating for under mower deck

I hear there are some products out for coating the underside of a mower deck to reduce / eliminate sticking and clumping of wet grass.

Does anyone have a recommendation for which product to use and best method of application?

Thanks
CASE 95XT Skidsteer w/10ft pusher
BOBCAT ct230 Compact Tractor
STIHLS & ECHOS
2 Enclosed & 2 Flat Beds
BUYERS Salters & ARCTIC Plows

Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

NOTHING will eliminate sticking...just like there's no water proof 'boot' for scuba diving.

Take your pick: Fluid Film, cooking oil, PAM, the list goes on. They all wear off/out in time. Yes, they might make some scraping a bit easier, but not for long. The underside of a mower deck in an ONGOING tornado of wet/dry. So finding some magic formula to apply is the pot-of-gold, the fountain of youth. Let us know if anything works for an extended period of time. All these need reapplying...and you still need to scrape eventually.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

At different times I used graphite coatings-Slip Plate and EZ Slide. Bottom line, they just don't hold up. The graphite coatings are too soft, and cannot with stand the blade generated air turbulence along with the grass and dirt. I scrape the the deck as needed.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a couple of spray cans of "Clean Machine" Its a non-stick mower surface protectent with TEFLON. The label says to use 2 coats. And to reapply periodically throughout the season. We shall see. As time will tell.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Two seasons ago I applied Fluid Film to one side of the deck and Mo-Deck to the other in order to compare them "side by side". (21" mower and 36" walk behind)

Neither one was much help, but I think Mo-Deck worked better to prevent "sticking".

I had used Mo-Deck on the 21" before and it works to some extent. At the end of each day I typically tip my mower and blast the underside with the hose to rinse it off. The Mo-Deck helps, but not enough to justify the repeated application needed (pretty much daily) with commercial use. Maybe it would work for a homeowner.

Fluid Film lasts a lot longer, but it had a HUGE negative in that it actually KEPT stuff on the deck that would not hose off. It seems "waxy" and the grass particles stick to it. The grass doesn't "clump" on it, but it certainly didn't repel the grass. I tried scraping and that became a chore because the deck was now "sticky". It may be a great product for the other uses it has, but I was not happy with it at ALL on my deck surface and could not wait for it to wear off. Bare steel is much easier to scrape clean.

Last year, I didn't bother applying anything to the 36" - it was pointless.
I still spray Mo-Deck on the 21" on occasion - mostly when I know I'm going to be mowing wet grass to make it easier to wipe clean in the field as the wet grass starts building up.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In order to reapply...you need a clean deck = scraping. I don't see the point in wasting my time or money cuz ya gotta scrape anyway.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-05-2014, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

What about the product called plow slick? I saw them advertising on Plowsite, there was a thread about it and it seemed to work good to keep snow from sticking.. Though cut grass is alot different than snow.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..