Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2014, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Got my potential first client a little nervious

Hey guys just venting I guess looking for advise or a pep talk lol just as the title says I was contacted by a possible client who lives in a very upscale neighborhood he's looking for a spring clean up so he wants shrub trimming mulch beds cleaned up yard cleaned up of all debris lawn dethatched and mulch installed. I'm a solo op starting out part time and due to the size and amount of mulch beds on the property and the size it's at least 15 yards probably more. I have to go out and measure and give a quote. But like mentioned this may be my first client and I'm a little intimated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

First when you show up at the house, you have to look confident and capable of doing the job. If not people will just give you the boot. Make sure you measure the area for mulch and look at bulk mulch if you have a trailer. If you have to buy bags of mulch add that into the final cost. On the trimming and clean ups just think how long it will take you and figure out your labor cost. Don't throw a number out to the person right then on landscape ask for email address then email a estimate letter. Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

The best advice I can give you is show up looking professional, dont give them an estimate on the spot because its important to write everything down and make sure you dont forget anything. You really need to think estimates threw to make sure your incorporating all the costs of the job into it. Lastly dont give them a low price just so you can get the job. Give a fair price so that all your expenses are covered and you make the profit your looking for. Good Luck!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm intimated because I'm a solo op and the size of the property he wants services is big there's a ton of beds and there all big along with a lot of hedges. And with it being such a up scale neighborhood it's nerv racking
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't be afraid to pass on a job too large for your liking or capability. Better to be honest than stuck in a bind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Don't be afraid to pass on a job too large for your liking or capability. Better to be honest than stuck in a bind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, I believe the OP better account for the amount of labor he will need since he is only PT at this type of work. Although not stated as such I believe that is the biggest concern.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My first season I got a lead from a guy in the business who knew I needed work.
I went and looked at it, and after doing so, I really had no idea what to charge as I had never worked on a property of that size before.
He then gave me some help with the estimate figures, but I decided it was simply too much for one guy to do alone, and told him I was going to have to pass on the job.

He offered to help me so I could get the job and the experience of working something of that size. Between the two of us, we would have enough trailer space to haul all the debris away in one trip.
We got it done. I learned a little and we both made some money.

I haven't done a job like it since - it's just too much for a solo guy.

Most people appreciate honesty and would rather hear you tell them that the job is beyond your scope than have you do a crappy job just to get it done.
I've passed on work only to have the people call me for other work later, or refer me to friends based solely on our interaction during a quote that didn't pan out.

Another option that has worked for me is to tell them that it is too big a job for me to complete at one time, but if they are agreeable to having it done a few parts at a time, I can work them into my schedule.

Good luck. You'll probably screw yourself over a few times during the learning process, but before long you'll get a handle on getting an accurate quote.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
. You'll probably screw yourself over a few times during the learning process, but before long you'll get a handle on getting an accurate quote.
The truth had been spoken!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You'll probably screw yourself over a few times during the learning process, but before long you'll get a handle on getting an accurate quote.
Learned this from my first few leaf jobs last year. Its the 100% truth.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Cooper View Post
Learned this from my first few leaf jobs last year. Its the 100% truth.
Uhhhhh! I'm telling you I did a few leaf jobs last year and and a couple of them I way underbid myself, then one was a neighbor who asked if I could get rid of a few (just the front only about 4,000 sq ft but very thick with leaves) I at the time only had a powerful electric blower (yeah I know) and I did not give her a estimate, she just came by and asked if I wanted to make some money real quick. Actually took about 2hrs and got paid $12....... Yep pretty bad, then she actually (already scheduled this) for her usual lawn guy to come and do a fall cleanup, it was kind of funny though to see the guys face though when he saw that the front had been done and there was a massive pile of leaves then he did the back, and still "did" the front. (Every thing was all done but also she a great neighbor, one time she again asked me if I wanted to make a couple of bucks (again and I said sure, (I just finished pressure washing my sidewalk) and she wanted a quick "pressure wash" (just getting spider webs and crud off of the overhand on a little portion of her roof) only took me about 15min and got paid $20. So things are kind of unpredictable with my neighbor, she wants me to put down some mulch, so well see how that goes
And what this has to do with this thread............ Sorry nothing but good luck
Posted via Mobile Device