Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing advice on a few things?

Hey guys, I'm growing a little faster then I thought as a business. I started out doing just lawn care and now I'm starting to get people asking about a lot of landscaping stuff. I know how to do most of what they ask but I don't know how to price things.

Like mulch, I charge 90/cu and get my bags for $2 - $3 for red mulch. Did a 4/cu job, and up-priced the weed barrier by $5 a roll. So the total came out to like $400 after adding pins and weed guards. Does that seem like a lot to pay for mulch? They pretty much have it going all the way around there house. Except the driveway. There is a bed that starts on ones side of the driveway and ends on the other.

Also, I'm having more people ask about doing barriers and basic hardscaping but i really don't know much about it. I was enjoying watching the paver crew for the pool company i work with do it, but I'm curious as to where I would go to find out info on how to properly do retaining walls and garden bed boarders.

Third and final question.
Weed spray pricing?
Lawn Fertilizer pricing?
These are two things that customers want. I offer a premium package that has:
mow, weed eat, edge, leaf blow, weed spray, garden bed maintenance(fertilizing plants, hand pulling weeds, and pruning flowers when needed), and hedge trimming starting at $70/month. Most around here charge $75 and up so i'm not bad priced for my area. But what about those customers that just want the basic plus weed spray or want their yard fertilized. How do you calculate a price?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulch doesn't sound bad on the price, im not sure on the hard scaping. But on your last one do it time.and materials. Charge them a couple extra dollars a bag.for fertilizer, and chemicals, then keep travk of time and charge them hourly. I charge hourly for most everything. Mowing trimming edging is around $40/hour, bushes are $8/ bush including clean up hedges are $1/2 feet including clean up. I never got.into.the chemical part cause around here.in Wisconsin.you dont need to.and the little they need there is.a.business in town.that takes care of.that.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, the advice really helps.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamslawncare View Post
Hey guys, I'm growing a little faster then I thought as a business. I started out doing just lawn care and now I'm starting to get people asking about a lot of landscaping stuff. I know how to do most of what they ask but I don't know how to price things.

Like mulch, I charge 90/cu and get my bags for $2 - $3 for red mulch. Did a 4/cu job, and up-priced the weed barrier by $5 a roll. So the total came out to like $400 after adding pins and weed guards. Does that seem like a lot to pay for mulch? They pretty much have it going all the way around there house. Except the driveway. There is a bed that starts on ones side of the driveway and ends on the other.

Also, I'm having more people ask about doing barriers and basic hardscaping but i really don't know much about it. I was enjoying watching the paver crew for the pool company i work with do it, but I'm curious as to where I would go to find out info on how to properly do retaining walls and garden bed boarders.

Third and final question.
Weed spray pricing?
Lawn Fertilizer pricing?
These are two things that customers want. I offer a premium package that has:
mow, weed eat, edge, leaf blow, weed spray, garden bed maintenance(fertilizing plants, hand pulling weeds, and pruning flowers when needed), and hedge trimming starting at $70/month. Most around here charge $75 and up so i'm not bad priced for my area. But what about those customers that just want the basic plus weed spray or want their yard fertilized. How do you calculate a price?

You need a license to spray weeds.
if you don't know how to price it, you probably can't do it legally.

Just refer someone who does.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Really? But I can buy spray at lowes and do it on my own lawn without a special license? Does Florida require it?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Really? But I can buy spray at lowes and do it on my own lawn without a special license? Does Florida require it?
You can spray your own lawn, just not anyone elses w/o a license.
Redmax Blowers
Boss Front Blades
Ebling Back Blades
20 Years Old
Old 04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Almost all states you have to have a license when for profit . you can do your moms or a friend but just cant charge them $
It's just another way for the goverment to get a piece of your pie.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

What happens if you don't get the license? I didn't even know about this. I thought it fell under the gardener business license I hold for my city.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
What happens if you don't get the license? I didn't even know about this. I thought it fell under the gardener business license I hold for my city.
Nope, usually regulated by the state department of agriculture. If you get caught they could fine you or other penalties. But, that being said, I have never seen, nor heard of anyone being asked for a license or a fine being issued. I am in no way saying you should do it without a license. There is alot that needs to be done to do it right, like record keeping, chemical tracking, etc.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Contact your local coop ext. office for information about license for spraying in the State of Florida. I would really never waste another penny on weed barrier anything on the market. Weed seeds will just germinate and sprout roots on top of the material and spread from there. Also never waste any time or money on tree wound dressings of any kind. Totally unnecessary and worthless.
easy-lift guy