Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

That's a tricky situation for sure. First its your first job and second you are not good at pricing yet and your unsure about the whole job. I'm am not knocking you one bit I have been there done that like many of us and sometimes you just go for it or you walk away.

15 yards of mulch is close to $2,000 to install and beds and such plus trimming and more. Close to a $3,000 plus mind you I'm in Canada so the price is a bit off.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya I live in ct and everything here is more expensive. Thanks guys for all your input I'm gonna go check out the job soon and ill keep everyone posted on weather I pass on it or accept it. I'm sure if I accept it ill be on here asking some priceing questions lol. If I chose to do the job when I email him the invoice do I just give him a total amount or do I break it down for example mulch material and install is xxx.xx hedge trimming xxxx lawn dethatching xxx.xx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B16bri View Post
Ya I live in ct and everything here is more expensive. Thanks guys for all your input I'm gonna go check out the job soon and ill keep everyone posted on weather I pass on it or accept it. I'm sure if I accept it ill be on here asking some priceing questions lol. If I chose to do the job when I email him the invoice do I just give him a total amount or do I break it down for example mulch material and install is xxx.xx hedge trimming xxxx lawn dethatching xxx.xx
Posted via Mobile Device
Total amount. Do not break it down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Dont break it down unless you are asked to
Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

As mentioned earlier, try selling him on doing 5 yards at a time. That's manageable solo. (You will be working your butt off though, all day job each time.) If you can't haul that much have it delivered, just make sure you have somewhere onsite to have it dumped and remember to factor the delivery fee into your price. I did a 9 yard job in just over a day, but labor-wise it took 14-15 hours or so. If you think you can't do it, don't do it, if you do shoddy work when you're tired, don't do it. But remember if you take the job and do awesome work, chances are you'll be getting all kinds of calls from neighbors and friends of the client.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hey guys just venting I guess looking for advise or a pep talk lol just as the title says I was contacted by a possible client who lives in a very upscale neighborhood he's looking for a spring clean up so he wants shrub trimming mulch beds cleaned up yard cleaned up of all debris lawn dethatched and mulch installed. I'm a solo op starting out part time and due to the size and amount of mulch beds on the property and the size it's at least 15 yards probably more. I have to go out and measure and give a quote. But like mentioned this may be my first client and I'm a little intimated.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nothing to FEAR!

Probably 3 or 4 real hard days. Have the Mulch delivered and go to work.

I turned down a few jobs like that starting out, mainly because I was part time, and I regretted it.

Its a great time to get into a upscale neighborhood, try real hard to get the weekly service on the place.

You can do it.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a regular mowing customer last spring that wanted 65 shrubs/trees installed and I really didn't want the job, so I priced it pretty high. She still said she wanted it done, so we did it. It was a lot of hard work, but now I'm glad I did it because of the experience I gained. Hopefully, you can get a shot at this job even if it's small bites at a time. Just make sure you give the guy a detailed written estimate and make sure all his expectations are met and agreed upon before starting the work. Good luck and take some pictures before and after if you do the work. In fact, it might be a good idea to take some pictures while on-site to do the estimate, you'll have something to refer to later.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Don't be afraid to pass on a job too large for your liking or capability. Better to be honest than stuck in a bind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly what I was going to say. It may be better to pass untill you have more experience and are a little more confident. There will be plenty more opportunities that will come your way. But at the same time this could be a great way to get a start in a nice neighborhood which could end you up with a lot of work. Whatever you decide to do make sure you are confident that t is the right decision and make sure the customer is happy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

One question are you insured
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

When measuring a big job like this which method would I be better off with what do you guys use the trusty Stanley tape measure or a measuring wheel ?
Posted via Mobile Device