Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

To the OP are you certified by your states Ag dept. there is literally a whole chapter devoted to what the post above me is talking about in the national CORE exam.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I won't do it. I carry 600 gallons with me if that isn't enough then I'll go back to the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
To the OP are you certified by your states Ag dept. there is literally a whole chapter devoted to what the post above me is talking about in the national CORE exam.
Yes...I'm certified...in turf and ornamental as well as public health (mosquito spraying)...and have been for 20 years.

Quote:
1) It's really unprofessional. Nothing screams "I'm a hack" or "I'm a hillbilly" louder than coming to a jobsite without the proper equipment and asking the customer to use theirs.
Nobody said anything about going to a jobsite without proper equipment. I always go with a full tank...this thread is about running out of water in your spray tank and what to do instead of driving 40 miles for 25 gallons of water.

...But you've been very helpful...thank you...

Quote:
2) In most states, it's illegal. I've owned, operated, or worked in several states over the years and each one of them required mixing and loading of pesticides or fertilizers into spray tanks (backpacks included) to be done over sealed concrete pads with the proper catchment and containment for spills 10% greater than the volume of the spray tank and inspected by the Dept of Ag. I've seen a lot of small-time operators fined big dollars for this and I've seen a lot of small-time operators shut down for this.
Can't speak for Montanna, but in North Carolina only bulk dealers are required to have this. Sounds kind of ludicrous to expect every farmer or lco who may be a long ways from base to go back each time they fill a spreader or spray tank. Might wann'a get your facts straight.

Quote:
If you can't carry all the water you need to do the job and do it safely, you don't need to be in business.
Posters like this is how I just remembered why I have not visited this site in over a year.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have filled up at a industrial site we do, out of one of there fire hydrants but that's it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On rare occasion, I have filled my backpack sprayer from a customer's spigot. Rare. Like when I tried to push it 'just one more lawn b/f the end of the day' and ended up eating my words......

Otherwise, water goes with me for refills. A 50 gal nurse tank for water only doesn't weigh that much, great for a ride on setup.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My last comment in my last post was harsh and I'm sorry for offending you, Pamlico. If we can get past that last sentence, let's look at the rest of the post.

1) Running out of water and needing to fill up onsite from the customer's water source looks unprofessional to the customer, in my opinion. That water is one of the tools I need to do my job. I don't think many of us would think highly of a contractor putting on your new roof and asked to borrow your hammer. I don't think many of us would think a mechanic who asked to use your wrench while fixing your car was professional.

2) Mixing and loading while away from your shop can lead to a load of problems. Chemical containers can spill while you're trying to fill up. In your shop, you just cuss and clean it up. When you're in your route and this happens, it requires a hazmat call. It also seems to be easier for a bottle to get knocked over and spill (wind, unlevel surface, etc) in the route vs in the shop. I don't know about you guys, but I pay enough for my materials that I want to keep spillage as small as possible.

Then, you've got to worry about backsiphoning prevention and carrying your own hose to fill. And, what happens if something goes wrong? The long-time guy on this board will have all kinds of stories about things going wrong -- that just comes with the territory. I would rather have a hose break, a tank leak, or something like that happen in my shop than on the route, where I would need to deal with all the hazmat stuff and the fines. And, if your state doesn't allow it, I don't think it's worth the fines of getting caught.

Like DA, I have my guys take extra mix if they think they're going to need it. Large commercial jobs have pre-mixed nurse tanks with a closed transfer system, so we don't carry any chemical bottles on the truck, we don't need any measuring equipment to clutter things up, and we don't risk any spills. Backpacks also have a closed system, but we use recycled 2.5 gal jugs wit the pre-mix ready to go. This seems to help us with proper product usage and avoids spills or overfills.

At the end of the day, I suppose it's up to you for what you want to do. You asked for opinions and here you have mine.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Good thing you don't pressure wash.

Real unprofessional to use a water spigot.. Right .

Using a neighbors water spigot? Yeah I agree unprofessional. But using your customers water? Nah
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
I have filled up at a industrial site we do, out of one of there fire hydrants but that's it.
Hydrants need a backflow preventer hooked up in a lot of states. There was a hydroseeder a few years ago hooked up without perms, had slurry sucked back into the public water supply when a line broke down stream or upstream. The city had to provide bottled water to everyone till it cleared, im sure he had a suit brought against him and isnt in buisness anymore.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Hydrants need a backflow preventer hooked up in a lot of states. There was a hydroseeder a few years ago hooked up without perms, had slurry sucked back into the public water supply when a line broke down stream or upstream. The city had to provide bottled water to everyone till it cleared, im sure he had a suit brought against him and isnt in buisness anymore.
Our state makes you rent one from them with a hydro permit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have a 200 gal spacesaver, when we are heavy on spraying we go out with maybe 60 gal of water, especially in spring people dont have their outside water on. If i run out I grab water, if they are a holes then I wouldnt want that kind of customer anyway

The reason they want sealed containment on filing up at your shop is the continuous spill potential, or a drum blowing out.

They dont want you mixing chemicals for bed bugs in a customers bath tub, but to go outside and have the proper airgap and mix outside is fine in MA. If you overfill a hand can or backpack then you maybe shouldnt be in the buisness. The billion and a hald company might have had that in their policy, but i have seen guys for terminex mixing Nissus packs plenty of time.

I have a neighborhood 35 min from my shop I do 26 houses there. I fill up at different houses with a 15ft hose we keep. I always take off my gloves when touching their hose or faucet handle. I dont ask becasue I always make sure to spray something on their lawn. I have never been questioned, but if i did get questioned, I would say if I have to leave and come back I would have to charge you more money to account for more time and exp on my side. I also try not to keep filling up at the same people, we rotate them when we can.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers