Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
We have a 200 gal spacesaver, when we are heavy on spraying we go out with maybe 60 gal of water, especially in spring people dont have their outside water on. If i run out I grab water, if they are a holes then I wouldnt want that kind of customer anyway

The reason they want sealed containment on filing up at your shop is the continuous spill potential, or a drum blowing out.

They dont want you mixing chemicals for bed bugs in a customers bath tub, but to go outside and have the proper airgap and mix outside is fine in MA. If you overfill a hand can or backpack then you maybe shouldnt be in the buisness. The billion and a hald company might have had that in their policy, but i have seen guys for terminex mixing Nissus packs plenty of time.

I have a neighborhood 35 min from my shop I do 26 houses there. I fill up at different houses with a 15ft hose we keep. I always take off my gloves when touching their hose or faucet handle. I dont ask becasue I always make sure to spray something on their lawn. I have never been questioned, but if i did get questioned, I would say if I have to leave and come back I would have to charge you more money to account for more time and exp on my side. I also try not to keep filling up at the same people, we rotate them when we can.

Thank you sir. The "common sense" you bring to the conversation is refreshing!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If you overfill a hand can or backpack then you maybe shouldnt be in the buisness.
Be careful about saying that on this board. Let me tell you what happened that last time I said something like that ...

Seriously, though, this is just another example of how there's room for different ways of doing things in this industry. Some of us have tastes for different things in our businesses and this is a perfect example.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For all you guys who like to mix and load while in the field, do you bring your mixing and loading PPE with you on your truck? For example, the Trimec Classic label requires users to wear a chemical resistant apron while mixing or loading. Do you guys bring this stuff with you and wear it while you're mixing and loading?
Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hydrants need a backflow preventer hooked up in a lot of states. There was a hydroseeder a few years ago hooked up without perms, had slurry sucked back into the public water supply when a line broke down stream or upstream. The city had to provide bottled water to everyone till it cleared, im sure he had a suit brought against him and isnt in buisness anymore.
How does one get hydromulch into a water main? Why was that tank being filled from a hose or pipe used in such a way that back flow was possible? Hard to have back flow when a tank is filled via a correctly used air gap. I have seen spray rigs that have these cute fill inlets on the BOTTOM of the tank. Unless someone has common sense, they would try to hook up their fill hose to those inlets. Those fill inlets are only for filling with nurse tanks. Next one is people sticking a hose into the opening of any kind of sprayer . Then allowing that tank to overflow. I agree with the other post. If someone cannot fill a tank without spilling concentrates and overflowing the tank, maybe they should find another line of work. I do not think this is the right business for the clumsy or those without any kind of common sense. I PAY MATERIALS. Spilling concentrates on the ground or overflowing tanks is also money lost.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-05-2014, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
How does one get hydromulch into a water main? Why was that tank being filled from a hose or pipe used in such a way that back flow was possible? Hard to have back flow when a tank is filled via a correctly used air gap. I have seen spray rigs that have these cute fill inlets on the BOTTOM of the tank. Unless someone has common sense, they would try to hook up their fill hose to those inlets. Those fill inlets are only for filling with nurse tanks. Next one is people sticking a hose into the opening of any kind of sprayer . Then allowing that tank to overflow. I agree with the other post. If someone cannot fill a tank without spilling concentrates and overflowing the tank, maybe they should find another line of work. I do not think this is the right business for the clumsy or those without any kind of common sense. I PAY MATERIALS. Spilling concentrates on the ground or overflowing tanks is also money lost.

When there is a catastrophic failure of a water main, the break can act as a Venturi and suck liquid from sources downstream(especially ones that are open). The larger the opening, the easier the source is to draw water from so it's the first to be drawn in. Think about it. They were probably using a minimum 1.5 inch line to fill and it was probably something like Tigerflex so they wouldn't have to worry about it flopping all over the place like a piece of fire hose. A 1.5 inch hose is much easier to draw water from than a garden hose that was left on beside someone's house. Someone got lazy and dropped their large diameter fill line down in the tank and the unthinkable happened...failure of a major water main.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
For all you guys who like to mix and load while in the field, do you bring your mixing and loading PPE with you on your truck? For example, the Trimec Classic label requires users to wear a chemical resistant apron while mixing or loading. Do you guys bring this stuff with you and wear it while you're mixing and loading?
Yes I do. Keep the goggles, gloves, and apron in my trailer.
I run a ride on and carry only water in a nurse tank, and mix in the field.
Therefore no worries about contamination from a hose to the nurse tank (no air gap to worry about). I would rather mix on demand than have a bunch of highly concentrated mix sitting around in a nurse tank, but that is just me.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-05-2014, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting topic, and here is my question about pre mixing. If you pre mix, than is it safe to assume that yall carry large spill kits capable of absorbing 110 percent of the largest tank you have on hand? I think I read that somewhere, but not sure. I don't know if that's a requirement or not, I was just doing some searching after reading this topic to see where the facts lie.

Seems that mixing on site using the appropriate PPE would allow you to only carry say 2.5 gallons of a concentrate as an example, and then have a 25 gallon spill kit just in case you had a problem with your mixed tank on site. Some of those larger spill kits would take u a lot of room in a truck, like the ones that are 55 gallons plus.

Not trying to pick sides, just looking for the answers and the facts about this.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
When there is a catastrophic failure of a water main, the break can act as a Venturi and suck liquid from sources downstream(especially ones that are open). The larger the opening, the easier the source is to draw water from so it's the first to be drawn in. Think about it. They were probably using a minimum 1.5 inch line to fill and it was probably something like Tigerflex so they wouldn't have to worry about it flopping all over the place like a piece of fire hose. A 1.5 inch hose is much easier to draw water from than a garden hose that was left on beside someone's house. Someone got lazy and dropped their large diameter fill line down in the tank and the unthinkable happened...failure of a major water main.
That is why there is an air gap on the spray rigs used by the termite control people and on sprayers used outside of a farm. Not having an air gap will attract the attention of the DOA.

Hydromulching does not fall under the purview of the DOA, but I know the water board would not be happy about hoses dropped into a hydromulch tank. That is just stupid.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Interesting topic, and here is my question about pre mixing. If you pre mix, than is it safe to assume that yall carry large spill kits capable of absorbing 110 percent of the largest tank you have on hand? I think I read that somewhere, but not sure. I don't know if that's a requirement or not, I was just doing some searching after reading this topic to see where the facts lie.

Seems that mixing on site using the appropriate PPE would allow you to only carry say 2.5 gallons of a concentrate as an example, and then have a 25 gallon spill kit just in case you had a problem with your mixed tank on site. Some of those larger spill kits would take u a lot of room in a truck, like the ones that are 55 gallons plus.

Not trying to pick sides, just looking for the answers and the facts about this.
I just hope that in whatever states are anal about not mixing on site of use also have totally perfect drivers and not just the driver of the spray truck. $hit happens on the roads. Someone texting or fighting with their kids in the back seat of the car or the impatient jackwagon that thinks he is Jeff Gordon but is far from it can bust open that tank mixed on a containment pad and that containment pad will not matter very much.

The DOA in my state checks for mixing and loading PPE. No apron and face shield will attract their attention during an audit. No air gap on a tank even more so. The centralized loading plants used by the now defunct sugar and pineapple plantations are all Superfund sites. No need to repeat history by mandating such sites in the present. Even the national pest control companies do not hit the roads here with filled tanks. They fill on site and leave empty. Only thing that might be contain a live solution is a 1 gallon B&G or the 4 gallon Birchmeier.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Yes I do. Keep the goggles, gloves, and apron in my trailer.
I run a ride on and carry only water in a nurse tank, and mix in the field.
Therefore no worries about contamination from a hose to the nurse tank (no air gap to worry about). I would rather mix on demand than have a bunch of highly concentrated mix sitting around in a nurse tank, but that is just me.
We run our nurse tanks mixed for the final fill, so we don't have to worry about dilution or carrying around concentrate in jugs or bottle in the field.

So, that prompts my next question:

How do you use your nurse tank? Do you use it as your final fill, do you use it to carry water to mixing, or do you put concentrate in it and use it to mix and fill?