Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who doesn't keep more PPE on the truck than you need? I sure as hell have more than I need. Isn't it required in the spill kit? I bought a fancy looking spill kit last Spring and it had PPE in it in sealed bags. Disposable PPE, but it was in there.

PS Ted Putnam I passed my 3ot yesterday. Needed 28, got a 30. You and I had some PM convs this winter. You were very helpful then. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
You're absolutely right!

You do sound like a jerk...just kidding. I have many rural accounts. Sometimes Have a mix in my large tank that is not safe for certain types of turf. So, I'll have to use a customers hose to fill a back pack or top off the Z spray. It's not as simple as going to the corner gas station. I never fill a large capacity tank at a customers house. IMO, that WOULD be completely unprofessional.

Only a complete dummy would drop someone else's garden hose down in a spray tank of any kind!
It's probably something that you should avoid at all cost. Maybe if you were in the country on a large property, and had the customers permission to do so. Just keep in mind the risk of back-flow, spillage, etc. At the end of the day, it's all about planning ahead for the day and carrying your own water!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine filling a 200 gallon sprayer at a customers house, nor has anyone implied that in this conversation. I would think if you are doing properties to large for your current equipment can handle one should make the necessary upgrades to handle his workload. If your filling Permagreen or similar low volume sprayers, ie backpacks & handcans just carry a few old (cleaned out 3 rinse for you sticklers of posts) 2 1/2 jugs. Lord knows we go through many of them, time to re-purpose.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
We have a 200 gal spacesaver, when we are heavy on spraying we go out with maybe 60 gal of water, especially in spring people dont have their outside water on. If i run out I grab water, if they are a holes then I wouldnt want that kind of customer anyway

The reason they want sealed containment on filing up at your shop is the continuous spill potential, or a drum blowing out.

They dont want you mixing chemicals for bed bugs in a customers bath tub, but to go outside and have the proper airgap and mix outside is fine in MA. If you overfill a hand can or backpack then you maybe shouldnt be in the buisness. The billion and a hald company might have had that in their policy, but i have seen guys for terminex mixing Nissus packs plenty of time.

I have a neighborhood 35 min from my shop I do 26 houses there. I fill up at different houses with a 15ft hose we keep. I always take off my gloves when touching their hose or faucet handle. I dont ask becasue I always make sure to spray something on their lawn. I have never been questioned, but if i did get questioned, I would say if I have to leave and come back I would have to charge you more money to account for more time and exp on my side. I also try not to keep filling up at the same people, we rotate them when we can.
Same here. I use my own 75 ft 3/4" hose. It gets connected to the air gap on the tank. The hose bibb handle is never touched with my spray gloves. Filling a backpack is done with a pail. Same thing, the hose bibb handle is never touched with my gloves. Whatever I mix gets blown on that property. Most of the time, the same mix is not applicable to the next lawn I am going to do anyway. To do what some people are suggesting would require a spray system with at least 10 separate tanks, pumps and hoses. Truck might end up being the size of a 40 ft shipping container and I would like that system contained within 1/2" thick steel. Too many people on the road that would probably not be allowed to drive in many parts of the world.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Same here. I use my own 75 ft 3/4" hose. It gets connected to the air gap on the tank. The hose bibb handle is never touched with my spray gloves. Filling a backpack is done with a pail. Same thing, the hose bibb handle is never touched with my gloves. Whatever I mix gets blown on that property. Most of the time, the same mix is not applicable to the next lawn I am going to do anyway. To do what some people are suggesting would require a spray system with at least 10 separate tanks, pumps and hoses. Truck might end up being the size of a 40 ft shipping container and I would like that system contained within 1/2" thick steel. Too many people on the road that would probably not be allowed to drive in many parts of the world.
I mix as needed for each property and never have to use the customers water. It's very simple to do with the right equipment. 600 gallon nurse tank with a 150 & 50 gallon drop tank. Each drop tank has it's own engine, pump & hose to avoid contamination. All this on an Isuzu NPR truck. I still have to mix & load on site, but I am fully self contained. I even have the ability to fill up my backpacks with this system. I'm not saying everyone should have this setup, but it's a common design around here and works very well. The customers I have would not like me using their water with my hose or theirs. Even though water is relatively cheap they don't care.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I currently only use a 300 gal tank. I plan my routes to make sure when I expect to run out I can me within reasonable distance to the shop. I Dont like filling at clients homes. Most cases it means pulling close to the home...locating a pipe in their beds....and then takes twice as long to fill. A hose bib may produce 5 gals a min. To fill even 50 gal you are talking 10 minutes. I am not saying it is wrong.....maybe a little unprofessional..... But definitely not productive in my book. 2.5 gal sprayers are a different story. My lawn crews do plan for this as well and use old recycled jugs to keep an extra 10 gal of h2o on board each truck. Planning ahead though will go a long way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
I mix as needed for each property and never have to use the customers water. It's very simple to do with the right equipment. 600 gallon nurse tank with a 150 & 50 gallon drop tank. Each drop tank has it's own engine, pump & hose to avoid contamination. All this on an Isuzu NPR truck. I still have to mix & load on site, but I am fully self contained. I even have the ability to fill up my backpacks with this system. I'm not saying everyone should have this setup, but it's a common design around here and works very well. The customers I have would not like me using their water with my hose or theirs. Even though water is relatively cheap they don't care.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a really nice set up where there are no hills, no driveways 300 ft from the lawn and the streets are wide. An NPR with 600 gallons of water might not make it up the side of a mountain or even fit in the street. I have trouble fitting a short bed single axle pick up in a lot of places. The style of building can include extremely narrow driveways going into big properties. There is no parking on the street because that is the thoroughfare. Conditions determine equipment.

Not to be a pain, but if people have a problem with a contractor using their water, that means pressure washing a roof or house means hauling a huge tank of water?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That is a really nice set up where there are no hills, no driveways 300 ft from the lawn and the streets are wide. An NPR with 600 gallons of water might not make it up the side of a mountain or even fit in the street. I have trouble fitting a short bed single axle pick up in a lot of places. The style of building can include extremely narrow driveways going into big properties. There is no parking on the street because that is the thoroughfare. Conditions determine equipment.

Not to be a pain, but if people have a problem with a contractor using their water, that means pressure washing a roof or house means hauling a huge tank of water?
Yes they do. They used softened water too. Big tank on a car trailer with a hotsy is SOP.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad they can fit the truck in the streets and driveways.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

I've taken the road to Hana on the island of Maui in a rental car. I know what you are talking about...

At times I treat 5 types of turf with varying product safety for specific turf types. Unfortunately. My truck does not have 4 or 5 tanks on it. I use my skid as a nurse tank for filling Z-sprays, hand sprayers backpack sprayers, etc... whenever possible(about 90-95% of the time)