Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Install only?

Does anyone just do softscape installation? No hardscapes or maintenance? Just wondering if anyone had been able to successfully pull it off without going broke.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see why it couldnt work. You better have a close company you can work with on the hardscape end of things. Most people would want 1 company so if you could atleast design it and have a sub or "your guy" install it. I dont see the problem.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting topic, we do maintenance primarily but are gearing up to push more toward mostly softscape installations. Not sure that we will ever completely get out of maintenance but definately want to get some of our eggs out of that basket
Old 04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews View Post
Interesting topic, we do maintenance primarily but are gearing up to push more toward mostly softscape installations. Not sure that we will ever completely get out of maintenance but definately want to get some of our eggs out of that basket
I'd like to completely do away with maintenance. It's my least favorite part of this business, but it provides steady cash flow.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
I'd like to completely do away with maintenance. It's my least favorite part of this business, but it provides steady cash flow.
That's the exact reason to never get rid of it

Hire a person to take your place and focus on what you want to do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with wanting to get away from it, BUT it pays the bills and keeps guys busy. Busy employees are happy employees. yes it is a headache at times tho. If nothing else people see your mowing truck running around and eventually get to recognize the name... Our little "tree" thingy we have on our trucks; my wife HATES it says it looks dumb, heck even some of my buddies hate on it, but people are starting to notice it so we havent changed it YET I would much rather landscape everyday than mow anything but we just are nowhere close to that yet, and the guys like a change of pace.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I feel the same way. I would love to do landscape type work 5days a week. But mowing pays the bills and the exposure from the mowing rig running around helps.

Since putting landscape contractors under my logo on my truck,trailers, postcards etc. I've gotten our greatest response for landscape work. Just in the past week I've gotten calls for 4x landscape renovation, 2x new installs, a drainage install and a sod install around a new pool construction.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody else??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Anybody else??
Posted via Mobile Device
It's not worth it. Pay someone to run maintenance side. And you can do installs. Cash flow keeps your business alive.

I think everyone feels like they hate maintenance in this business lol. We do roof cleaning and power washing. I gross over 1500 a day per 2 person truck. But we also have to constantly market it. 5,000 flyers/postcards/etc every 2 weeks.

So it costs me more to keep people busy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For us,

We started mowing 30 years after we started spraying and applying. Mainly just to keep people who want a "do it all" service. We do make money on this but it has the lowest margins out of anything we do. We also only service the surrounding area compared to WC/fert which is like triple the service area.

Getting out of mowing would most likely mean losing customers on our fert side which is a nogo. Another thing is we offer quality. Most mowing customers come to us because they are very happy with our fert services and there mowing company is doing a **** job. This also allows to price a bit higher but take more time mowing.

My consensus, hire someone, pay them well to run that side of things. Even if you make little money on it, you be able to get mroe customers