Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Spyker Complaint Follow-up

Please read the thread created by Larry American Lawn. Brad, the Spyker rep on LS is asking for anyone who has had a problem with the Accuway dial clip to PM him your contact info so he can start building a file for an engineering change. PLEASE CONTACT HIM IF THE BLACK CLIP THAT HOLDS THE DIAL IN PLACE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've bitched & complained enough already. Pretty much every T3000 and Z-Spray owner that I know of has experienced the same breakdown. For now -- expect to shell out 2 per year (sometimes more). Make sure to carry a spare in every truck.

I don't think Spyker needs to 'build a file' cuz this part has routinely failed on all our ride-on's as well as our Spyker 288 push spreaders. Kinda wondering why this issue has never been addressed after all these years???

Right now, I say give Brad a break cuz he's taking this issue personally, and I trust him.

On the other hand, I would like to see changes a.s.a.p.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Sponsor

Thanks guys. I do need as many specific instances of this issue that I can possibly document in order to overcome some internal opposition to rectifying this problem. I personally agree with Larry, this should have been changed already. But this is the hand we were dealt, so I'm going to do what I have to do in order to make sure that Spyker users are taken care of. Please bear with me during this process.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
Thanks guys. I do need as many specific instances of this issue that I can possibly document in order to overcome some internal opposition to rectifying this problem. I personally agree with Larry, this should have been changed already. But this is the hand we were dealt, so I'm going to do what I have to do in order to make sure that Spyker users are taken care of. Please bear with me during this process.
Brad, thanks for your efforts. And Larry, I didn't mean to come across as one wanting to give Brad a hard time. I just know what he might be up against when it comes to getting an engineer to make a change to a product which they feel is fine the way it is. I was just trying to encourage people to contact Brad if they've had the same problem.
The squeaky wheel gets the most oil. In this case, hopefully it will be the design of the clip.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I honestly don't think they need to re-invent the wheel here. I think one of the engineers could use a different blend in the mold making process as there are a billion other items that are made from plastic and take a hell of a lot more abuse than the selector dial and frame on these. Mine snapped as well, seems a bit to brittle, but the zip ties holding it are not !!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk117 View Post
I honestly don't think they need to re-invent the wheel here. I think one of the engineers could use a different blend in the mold making process as there are a billion other items that are made from plastic and take a hell of a lot more abuse than the selector dial and frame on these. Mine snapped as well, seems a bit to brittle, but the zip ties holding it are not !!
That's a definite possibility. I think that in the time it would take to strengthen and then test the new plastic, they could have already shipped many stainless replacements.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
That's a definite possibility. I think that in the time it would take to strengthen and then test the new plastic, they could have already shipped many stainless replacements.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm down with that to !
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Changing to a better quality plastic from their plastic molding supplier would be the quickest fix.
Sure melted down milk bottles have to go somewhere, but a high-quality nylon or polypropylene might solve the problem. The supplier probably wants to use the good stuff (new plastic) in their plastic injection mold machines, anyway. Affects their reputation. No re-engineering needed. Mean time maybe send everyone a few clips so they don't have downtime.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't get it. I have never broke one.

Maybe you guys need to look at other possibilities on the machine or elsewhere.

On my Z, when the cable bottoms out at the handle the gate is closed, it can't go any farther past that to put pressure on the tabs to push the clips out.

I had it happen once when the clips pushed out, but never broke, when a rock of fertilizer got stuck in the gate and I tried slamming the cable shut.

I am not standing up for spyker but I guess what I am trying to say is look at other possibilities.

Terry