Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Use Lesco spreaders. I find them to be more easily repairable, and more accurate for spreading all different products. I have three of them and one Spyker, and the Spyker is universally disliked.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 AM
Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback AmericanLawn, I'm going to make sure this issue gets the attention it deserves. We stand behind our products. We design them to be the best performing and longest lasting spreaders that money can buy. Our customer service representatives are very knowledgeable and can help you if you need anything at all, from 8am to 5pm EST Monday through Friday. If for some reason you feel like they're not helping you the way that they should, please contact me directly. E-mailing marketing@brinly.com will come directly to my inbox. Thanks again everyone for letting me know about this issue.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Sponsor

I just spoke with a couple of our customer service reps, who are familiar with this issue. They said that generally the reason this happens is that although the dial assembly is set to a position other than fully open, the control lever is being pushed to the fully open position. This transfers the excess pressure onto the back of the dial assembly, causing the retaining prongs to fail.

On push spreaders, it's relatively easy to spot because the solid linkage will begin to bend when pushed too far. It's this tension that is ultimately causing the breakage. I imagine it's more difficult for operators to notice this tension on spreader/sprayers.

The amount of travel in the control lever varies depending upon the dial assembly's setting. Set to 1 the lever will barely move, at 5 it should move about halfway, etc. I'll be posting a few pictures shortly, and we will start working on an explanation video later on in the week. I'm also going to recommend that we add a caution label onto the product itself to help prevent this issue for new Spyker users.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spyker, the feedback u get in these forums are from real world experience from people who use ur spreaders more than anyone, the use and performance in the field is much different than ur controlled environment testing and is what matters at the end of the day.
I read ur comment suggesting a caution sticker and training video. That was borderline insulting, and believe is a waste of your time and money to actually do that. Not to mention us the consumer feeling further frustration.

I could see your point were this a home owner grade unit, but its not wr are talking about a commercial duty unit, correct?

Apreciate u posting and hope u continue to do so,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Sponsor

I see your point jbturf, I had not thought about it like that. Definitely was not my intent. What would you suggest is an appropriate solution before we are able to make an engineering change?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for asking, but for this i do not have the answer, hopefully some others will chime in.

I will mention a couple general observations though,
i would be willing to bet the gate or plate is actuated or opened/closed 300-400 times a day, 5-6 days per week
etc. For most guys on here. So there is alot of wear all moving and contact parts even when used properly, my experience os that the weakest link will always give first

i think the compounding factor is that during the course of each day there is residue buildup on all the spreaders parts from what ever granular product is being used, this residue generally increases the friction of the moving parts and this the force needed to actuate gates plates cables etc

i keep a can of pb blaster in trailer and give a spray to the plate etc. Of my spreader daily, then wipe off best i can with papertowel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Brad for looking into this issue. We love our Spykers (just not the cheap/brittle plastic clips that hold the rate dial in place). I'm sure you will make changes to fix this problem.

p.s. I like how your phone answering system has improved, as well as your website.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Sponsor

I'm going to start the ball rolling on an engineering change today, thanks guys
Old 06-11-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
Now THAT is some kind of customer service. I'm impressed.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyker View Post
I would like to see a design where the whole gate opening could be adjusted.

Same principal as the accuway where it moves the product to drop on a desired location on the spinner.

This would eliminate the accuway and the problem of fertilizer dust caking up on it.

Terry