Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Spring Clean Up Profit Margin

Hey guys,
I'm typing up a bid for a spring clean up job and i think i'm coming in a little to high. My total bid came out to be $350.00 how've i've had this client for a few years and I know there is no way they will pay that. I don't know if I don't bid less, my thinking is that some money is better than no money, but I would hardly make anything.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you answered your own question. You know what you need to make, don't work for peanuts!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Stick to your guns. If they don't like the price they're free to do it themselves. But they don't want to, which is why they called you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$350? The yard must be TINY. That's nothing for a spring cleanup.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I think if you're dropping your price " just to get the job", you're cheapening the entire industry. Next year when you're busier and not willing to work for cheap, they'll still still want to pay the lower price. If you say no, it'll be 325.....they'll just call the next guy.

And still not rich

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

are you getting around half of the jobs you bid on . too know if you are high or too low ?
I dont know your area . maybe you are to high for your area .
I know i have a couple propertys that only takes like 2 yards of mulch . = less then 4 hours each .
With the comment some money better then no money . tell me that work is slow for ya .
My thinking is if you do not have a few on the schedule to do . might be wise to lower the price and and do a nice job to try pick up more work in that neighborhood .
I started out low and have been bumping up prices slowly . getting a feel for my area .
just keep in mind if your getting every job your too low . if your not getting any work your too high.
after a few years in business you should have clients just calling you. to be put on the schedule .
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bid it at that and throw in a free mowing for them. That might help a bit
Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Gardiner hit it right on the head. You have to know your area and what it will bring price wise. All those shouting go higher have no clue as to what the current rates are for your area. In your area it may only be worth 250.00. But I agree 100% with Gardiner go low to get the work do a great job and let others see what kind of work that you can do. Word of mouth is your best advertisement. As time goes on you can increase your prices provided that you never over price the jobs for the area they are in. Case in point most of my yards are in the 30.00 and 35.00 dollar range. It is just how it is here. But if I go east into Jersey which sometimes looks better everyday I could double those price's. But I guess the bottom line is do you want to work for yourself ( yes after all expense's are paid I know that you still have to make a pay check ) or do you close up and go work at a regular job making someone else money and punching a clock to they're rules. Me personally the way things are these days and what jobs out there are paying I'd rather work for myself and make what I can. I may have to work harder and also be more creative in doing things but still better than making someone else rich off of my sweat.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess if he did like 2 yards of mulch at an ultra low-baller price of $65 a yard and did some light stick/leaf pickup and a little weeding then $250 would be ok. He never really told us anything, though.

$250, typically, is straight up low-ball city for a spring cleanup.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

No He really did not give many details. I just threw that 250 out as a example of what some area's might be stuck at price wise. Also I was not including mulching with that. Just a general spring clean up of dead branch's and left over leaves. Also the 1st cut would be included just as a bonus to make it look good. Since you will be using a mower anyway it just sounds like they are getting something for nothing. Not trying to be dishonest with the customers it just looks like you are giving them something else with it. Never assume that they automatically think that cutting the grass will be part of it. Some are more in tuned while others are not.