Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ink. Art. Tats. Self Expression.

What's everyone's opinion on employee tattoos ?
What about facial tattoos and highly visible ones that can't be covered up short of wearing a ski mask?

So far I would rather let a decent potential employee walk rather then have that on my crews. But then I walk in to mcd's to grab a snack and half of their force is tattooed and pierced.

Am I old school?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that all depends…

my first question is how hot is she?
Does the tattoo make her look even hotter?

OH wait…. wrong site, were not talking about strip clubs are we?

No… No tattoos….

When guys come in with face Tats I ask them if they are an XMA fighter and if they think they can take me?
Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
But then I walk in to mcd's to grab a snack and half of their force is tattooed and pierced.

Am I old school?
Posted via Mobile Device
Your business, you get to decide on the image you want to project. Every person, object, and communication that has contact with the public contributes to that. I don't think anyone confuses McD's with quality and customer service.

It's tough because I believe people should have the right to express themselves as they see fit. But it's my right as an owner to decide that that expression doesn't fit the company image. Luckily it hasn't come up for me (not a lot of high end residential designers with facial tattoos) but if I were hiring for a more entry level spot, I'd probably have my attorney help me draft an appearance policy that would hold up in court. Just in case.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have tattoos. They can be covered by long sleeves. And I have one on my right leg that goes from my knee to my ankle. Mine are military and outdoor tattoos.

Tattoos don't bother me on employees unless its proactive or in the face etc. neck tattoos are ok to an extent. I really think a lot of y'all over think some of this stuff.
90 % of the guys I was in the fire service with had full sleeve tattoos. Would you not want that guy to put your burning house out?

I look at it this way. We provide a service for people who are A: too lazy to do it themselves B: not physically able to do it, C: think they are too good to do manual labor or D: don't have the time or means to do it.

If my tattoos or an employees tattoos are the decision maker if a person hires us or not than I'm 100% percent sure thats not the type of customer I want.

Just my $0.02
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I have tattoos. They can be covered by long sleeves. And I have one on my right leg that goes from my knee to my ankle. Mine are military and outdoor tattoos.

Tattoos don't bother me on employees unless its proactive or in the face etc. neck tattoos are ok to an extent. I really think a lot of y'all over think some of this stuff.
90 % of the guys I was in the fire service with had full sleeve tattoos. Would you not want that guy to put your burning house out?

I look at it this way. We provide a service for people who are A: too lazy to do it themselves B: not physically able to do it, C: think they are too good to do manual labor or D: don't have the time or means to do it.

If my tattoos or an employees tattoos are the decision maker if a person hires us or not than I'm 100% percent sure thats not the type of customer I want.

Just my $0.02
Posted via Mobile Device

I couldn't agree with you more. I have sleeves on both arms along with my complete chest, back, and stomach from my younger days. I cover them up by wearing Under Armor along with a cool golf polo over the under armor. Both are made of good materials and keep cool air flowing in and keep the sweat down. HOWEVER, I try my best to keep the polo buttoned all the way at the top and sometimes I forget. I know there are customers that have seen the work on my chest when I have caught myself forgetting to button it after a conversation from time to time, and probably a few have seen my arms when I pulled my sleeves up a little bit on a good hot day. But as you said, some people think about it too much. As you said, a lot of the firefighters I've seen have complete sleeves and people would still want them to put out the fire. Basketball players now days have full sleeve tattoos and people still go watch them play? And even let their kids where their jerseys. I make an attempt to stay professional and keep mine covered up, but as you said, I don't think about it too much. Sometimes it slips my mind. None of my customers have said anything to me. I have a personal connection with most of my customers and don't think they think or would think of me too much different because of my tattoos. Hell, half of my customers I could call right now and say I think your lawn needs this about of Potassium and this much Calcium, and they would give me the money to put it down right then and there. As long as you work hard, are honest, and make them happy I don't see them minding too much.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sure everyone has the right to choose how to express themselves.

But they also need to consider how those choices affect other things, people and situations.

Use to be 'alternative lifestyle' meant "I don't care what you think of me, go take along walk off a short peer"

Now a days, alternative lifestyle means "I want to force you to accept me and my choices"

Everyone has the right to choose, but if your a harley biker, come to grips with the fact you might not be selected to be the next pope.

I just want to , I love me some women…. young, hot, scantily clad, woohoo!
But should the lady at the counter wear a spaghetti strap tank top?
No. It's distracting and inappropriate.
Unless of course that counter happens to be at a strip club.

Everything has it's place. But our profession goes to people houses, and on their properties, they are allowed to pick who is there and who isn't.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think about the children of the clients seeing it and the stigma that follows it. " is this guy going to come back and break into my house?" Society says if your covered in tattoos and your ears are gauged out your a punk and nothing but trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Disney world doesn't allow it and I think Walt is a pretty smart man. It's about the complete package
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont hire anyone who has tattoos from the neck up. From the neck down, i dont mind and they dont have to cover them with long sleeves. The only exception would be if the tattoo was something crude such as a nekkid woman, curse words, etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Tattoos aren't socially unacceptable like they were 10 or 15 years ago. My step brother is a pretty well known artist/tattoo artist/shop owner in the area he lives in, the majority of his clients are people who are professionals. It would surprise some of you how many doctors, lawyers, business executives and other highly paid professionals have tattoos on their bodies. When it comes to tattoos they all fall into one of two categories: those that are tasteful and those that are in poor taste, you'll know it when you see it. To me, neck/face/hand tattoos scream "look at me, I need attention, I'm a drama queen, I'm gonna be a pain in your azz if you hire me" and also demonstrate to me that person doesn't make good decisions. I'm "new school" in that tasteful tattoos are a non-issue with me, I'm "old school" in that I don't understand peoples need to express themselves by covering themselves in ink or wearing clothes that bring attention to themselves. I've always thought that if your need to use tattoos or clothes to show people your individuality, then there's not much unique or interesting about you.