Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker's Lawn and Snow View Post
I want your opinion! Do you'll think I should A.) Go to college next year and.not take time off from school to run my business? Or B.) Not go to college right away and run my business?
Do both go to school and run your own business. It is hard work sometimes, but you can do it. Online classes are the best for people with busy schedules. When I graduate I'll have no debt and have a job right out of the gate.
Exmark Lazer Z 60"
Toro 52" Proline
John Deere LT155
(2) Husky Backpack Blower BT150
Echo Edger
Echo Trimmer
and American Muscle
Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
I want your opinion! Do you'll think I should A.) Go to college next year and.not take time off from school to run my business? Or B.) Not go to college right away and run my business?
Quite the question to ask! You will get both sides of the coin on this one.

U of M Dearborn Finance Degree 2009. I went to college while I ran the lawn biz in the summer. Paid for my school actually which was great. When I got out and the finance market was &^%$, I took a shot at really growing the lawn company. I am glad I have the degree, but can def. see the other side where the $50k piece of paper in my cabinet could've been spent on the business.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

BS Degree in Business Administration.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bachelors Degree in Political Science from The University of Massachusetts.

I got my degree when I was 23 years old.

I do not regret getting my degree however I regret not starting my business sooner. (I am currently 33 years old)

Especially since I have been working in the industry since I was about 12 years old....
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm glad you guys who went to school and got the degrees are happy, but yikes....

Political Science? Business Admin? Those are probably the 2 most worthless degrees there are.

No offense! I'm sure you're great people, but those are literally worthless.

This is why college is so overpriced today. So many kids going that shouldn't. So many worthless degrees.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

BS in Marketing from Penn State University
Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
BS in Marketing from Ole Miss.

I'm kinda torn on this question. Do I think my degree has served me the way I thought it would while I was pursuing it? No. At this point in my life would I go back and get that degree if I didn't already have it? Probably not. Am I glad I went to college and got my degree right out of HS? Absolutely, not so much for the piece of paper, I gave that to my Dad on graduation day and he's had it stored away in his safe for the past dozen or so years. I enjoyed the college experience, had a lot of great experiences and made a lot of lifelong friends, but professionally any successes I've had have been due to hard work and learning what I need to learn on my own to be better at what I do.

If I were you, I'd consider an Associates degree and focus on the things that will actually help you in your business. Things like accounting, marketing, advertising, CAD, construction management, horticulture, turf management, Spanish...the associates degree will likely give you a good foundation without having to waste time and money on 4 semesters of music appreciation, literature, philosophy and all the other bs universities deem necessary to make you ready for graduation.

But back to your question, I'd urge you to do option C) run your business AND go to college. Don't go to college just to go to college, that's a waste of time and money and the biggest, most expensive mistake I've made. Go to college with a plan for what you want to get out of it and how you are going to achieve those results. I worked full time the entire time I was in college and took 18-21 credits each semester after freshman year and still had a life. It's difficult sometimes and you can't always do what all your friends who don't have those responsibilities are able to, but it can certainly be done and it won't kill ya.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
Quote:
BS in Marketing from Ole Miss.

I'm kinda torn on this question. Do I think my degree has served me the way I thought it would while I was pursuing it? No. At this point in my life would I go back and get that degree if I didn't already have it? Probably not. Am I glad I went to college and got my degree right out of HS? Absolutely, not so much for the piece of paper, I gave that to my Dad on graduation day and he's had it stored away in his safe for the past dozen or so years. I enjoyed the college experience, had a lot of great experiences and made a lot of lifelong friends, but professionally any successes I've had have been due to hard work and learning what I need to learn on my own to be better at what I do.

If I were you, I'd consider an Associates degree and focus on the things that will actually help you in your business. Things like accounting, marketing, advertising, CAD, construction management, horticulture, turf management, Spanish...the associates degree will likely give you a good foundation without having to waste time and money on 4 semesters of music appreciation, literature, philosophy and all the other bs universities deem necessary to make you ready for graduation.

But back to your question, I'd urge you to do option C) run your business AND go to college. Don't go to college just to go to college, that's a waste of time and money and the biggest, most expensive mistake I've made. Go to college with a plan for what you want to get out of it and how you are going to achieve those results. I worked full time the entire time I was in college and took 18-21 credits each semester after freshman year and still had a life. It's difficult sometimes and you can't always do what all your friends who don't have those responsibilities are able to, but it can certainly be done and it won't kill ya.
Yeah I.live.a few miles from a technical school, and am.enrolled.in their business management program, has classes like accounting, and others. I took the speech, written communication, and marketing and advertising classes.in high school.to save money at college. As far as horticulture, they wont.let.me take classes not.out.of.the.program, so.my.other question.is.should.I.enroll.into.the landscape and design course or.stay with business? Im.not.to.concerned with accounting, cause my account.is.cheap, and.I.know.thw.basics on how to record expenses and income
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I could go back in time ,I would have skipped college and started my lawncare 5.5 years earlier. College is not special anymore. Everybody and their cousins goes
Old 04-09-2014, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

a bachelors is almost worthless without an accompanying masters in something
specific.

Bachelors is the new high school grad.

when i was a kid, I used to hear all these stories about and meet people who were successful business owners who never finished high school, and I used to think how did they get so far with being so dumb?

now I know.

Current people are dumber now than they ever were, and just take more time in school, with much larger debt to finally realize themselves, what some old timer figured out when he was 15… you're better off working for yourself, than to give the establishment a minute or a dollar more of what's already YOUR time and money.

Most people got to college because they are trying to put off the inevitable of becoming productive citizens…
70% of useful things they need to know to be successful could be learned in Technical school which would normally be their junior and senior year of high school.

This country suffers because it refuses to pay people well for needed professions, like Janitors, Garbage men, Railroad Engineers, and other infrastructure.
Instead our society lies to us and tells us made up statistics about how much someone can make if they have a degree, yet most degree holders are working in a field vastly different than their major, making far less than they hoped/were promised to make.

You still see advertisements from companies that are also convinced by the lie, that this elusive piece of paper referred to as a diploma, actually means something, when in reality all it proves is you are good at making poor financial decisions and are likely very deep in student loan debt.
"Job Requirements"
Bachelors in……. blah blah blah.

Jobs like Landscape Manager and Police Officer are the worst offenders in my mind.
But there are others, like middle management at Target?
Really? required education for a job at Target?
What is it they are teaching in college these days that is need to know information for supervising teenagers at Target?
Must be how to buckle under and capitulate.
Our country is extremely talented at doing that these days.

'how to be a spineless zombie 101'