Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Dr. Cornwallis Dr. Cornwallis is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valrico, Fl
Posts: 476
I don't have a degree, my girlfriend has a degree from UF and we make the same kind of money at our day jobs, and mine actually has better benefits. I think college is important but I think it's also very overrated these days. There has been such a huge push to "go to college" that kids go just to go, and with so many boom boom degrees out there kids end up in the same places they started. I think one of he best things one could do is go to college and get a purposeful degree, or take up a trade.

I started my business as a part time venture because I enjoy cutting grass and to make me a nice bit of extra money on the side, however, I would be doing it full time even if I had a degree as I hate being inside and stuck behind a desk. I went to school to be a firefighter and started the business to get me out of my current dead end corporate hell hole until I get hired, and then to keep me busy and make me extra income once I am hired. A firefighters schedule gives ample time to make a lot of extra money, and most of the guy I know have second jobs or run a business on the side, one or them actually owns a major landscaping company in the Tampa area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dr. Cornwallis; 04-09-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Joe Shooner Joe Shooner is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 128
I get to deal with a lot of lawn/landscape companies in my line of work. I would say that absent a college degree, I would highly encourage EVERYONE to pursue some structured eduction in Accounting and Communication. Improving your skills in these two regards will help you get more business and keep more money from the work you do.

Honestly, the communications classes I took do me more good than any others - and with all due respect toward all present, the landscape industry includes a lot of people who can't be troubled to write an e-mail in complete sentences. The easiest way to show professionalism is to be well spoken and clear in your communication.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Dr. Cornwallis Dr. Cornwallis is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valrico, Fl
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shooner View Post
I get to deal with a lot of lawn/landscape companies in my line of work. I would say that absent a college degree, I would highly encourage EVERYONE to pursue some structured eduction in Accounting and Communication. Improving your skills in these two regards will help you get more business and keep more money from the work you do.

Honestly, the communications classes I took do me more good than any others - and with all due respect toward all present, the landscape industry includes a lot of people who can't be troubled to write an e-mail in complete sentences. The easiest way to show professionalism is to be well spoken and clear in your communication.
Most of the landscapers I see around town can't speak in coherent English, can't write complete sentences with proper punctuation, they look like convicts, and their trucks and equipment usually look like they should be in a junk yard. Most have no idea how to run a professional looking business. This is how I get clients, because I'm definitely not as cheap as they are.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 PM
CGros31 CGros31 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Labadieville, Louisiana
Posts: 27
I received my BS Degree in 2004 in Health and Physical Education. I received my Master's Degree in 2011 in Educational Leadership. I've been teaching for 10 years. I started my lawn service in April of 2007. Right now I'm making more money with my lawn service than my teaching jog. I'm strongly considering giving up my teaching job because 1. I don't like it anymore. 2. It's keeping me from taking on any new business. 3. I like the idea of making as much as I put into it. I can get on my wife's insurance. The benefits are teaching aren't great. I can pull out my retirement money and roll that over. I can always substitute teach in the winter when the grass isn't growing. Being in South Louisiana, we have a long growing season. Looking back, I wasted my time going to college. Those overpriced pieces of paper do not guarantee happiness or a good job.
__________________
2014 F-250 Lariat SuperCrew FX4 6.7L Power Stroke
6.5 x 18 ft. Utility Trailer
John Deere 1025R with 60 inch AutoConnect (48 inch Frontier Rotary Cutter)
John Deere Z925M EFI w/54 inch MOD Deck
John Deere JS38 Walk-Behind
Echo SRM-265 String Trimmer
Echo SRM-225 String Trimmer
Echo PAS-225 with trimmer, blower, and pole saw
Echo PB-500h Backpack Blower
Echo PB-250 Blower
Echo CS-370 Chain Saw
Echo 3 gallon sprayer
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Dr. Cornwallis Dr. Cornwallis is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Valrico, Fl
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGros31 View Post
I received my BS Degree in 2004 in Health and Physical Education. I received my Master's Degree in 2011 in Educational Leadership. I've been teaching for 10 years. I started my lawn service in April of 2007. Right now I'm making more money with my lawn service than my teaching jog. I'm strongly considering giving up my teaching job because 1. I don't like it anymore. 2. It's keeping me from taking on any new business. 3. I like the idea of making as much as I put into it. I can get on my wife's insurance. The benefits are teaching aren't great. I can pull out my retirement money and roll that over. I can always substitute teach in the winter when the grass isn't growing. Being in South Louisiana, we have a long growing season. Looking back, I wasted my time going to college. Those overpriced pieces of paper do not guarantee happiness or a good job.
True story. I think a college degree is really important... for some people. So many people make it sound like if you graduate from college with a degree, you get a good job. Most of the people I work with at my current full time job have a four year degree and they are doing the exact same job as me, making the exact same money. I think the primary problem is degree saturation and a poor job market. A degree does NOT guarantee one a good job. I also feel as though in the professional world there is too much emphasis placed on having a degree vs being qualified, the airline industry is a good example. One shouldn't need a degree to fly a plane, they should need the correct certifications.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM
wbw's Avatar
wbw wbw is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: houston tx
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
Go to college. Immediately. This is coming from a guy that:

1) Never went

2) Runs a reasonably successful business.

College gives you more than just an education. It gives you standing and credibility in the business community. More importantly it gives you options in life. I couldn't begin to calculate how much it cost me to not attend. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Going to college is only the beginning. There are many things one should do.....self improvement is the key to self improvement.

In addition to college (a should do), there are 3 things you must do:

1) Take the Dale Carnegie course. Then go back as a graduate assistant.

2) Join a local Toastmasters organization. Effective communication is a very powerful force.

3) Join the Jaycee's. They are the finest young persons leadership training organization on earth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Fwilamosky Fwilamosky is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 280
Do both. I currently am enrolled at The Ohio State University and double majoring in Construction Management and Finance. I finishing up my second year of college in 2 weeks. Sure it's hard to do both, but what happens if you become badly injured and can't do landscaping anymore? Go to school then? Why not go now, while you have little overhead (no mortgage, kids, spouse, etc...) to invest most of your earnings in the business to get all the stuff needed to then go big. That's my philosophy. I know college is a scam now-a-days, but that's why I majored in something, Construction, where I could still have the possibility of being outside everyday and earning good money.
__________________
2007 GMC Sierra
2011 Bobcat 61in Procat
48in Snapper Pro WB
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Whittaker's Lawn and Snow's Avatar
Whittaker's Lawn and Snow Whittaker's Lawn and Snow is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lancaster Wisconsin
Posts: 114
You have all.made some very valid points. Iam considering going.to.college, for now tho I.might just wait.a few year and then get.my.1 year in landscaping, just for.the knowledge and the know how, from a technical school. Then once my business grows and I have more people working for me I will go back.to.college for something else.
I started my business sooner than I wanted. My plan was to get my associates in BM then open my business. But opportunity knocked, some of the other landscapers in town retired, and the one I was working with was talking about.doing the same.so I went ahead and filed all the paperwork. The only things I need are a bank account and to sign the insurance paperwork, which I am doing on my 18th birthday this Friday. After I have the insurance proof the.landscaper I was working with is supposed to. Turn some of his clients over to me. Whether or not.he.will, idk. Because now hes been talking that he might not get out of it. I have been able.to get clients on my own tho. I currently have 6, I know its.not.much but.I.have also.not paid for.any advertising its all been word of mouth, and me calling local businesses asking if they're accepting bids. But my goal.is to.have around.30 by the.end.of.the season
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 PM
wbw's Avatar
wbw wbw is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: houston tx
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker's Lawn and Snow View Post
You have all.made some very valid points. Iam considering going.to.college, for now tho I.might just wait.a few year and then get.my.1 year in landscaping, just for.the knowledge and the know how, from a technical school. Then once my business grows and I have more people working for me I will go back.to.college for something else.
I started my business sooner than I wanted. My plan was to get my associates in BM then open my business. But opportunity knocked, some of the other landscapers in town retired, and the one I was working with was talking about.doing the same.so I went ahead and filed all the paperwork. The only things I need are a bank account and to sign the insurance paperwork, which I am doing on my 18th birthday this Friday. After I have the insurance proof the.landscaper I was working with is supposed to. Turn some of his clients over to me. Whether or not.he.will, idk. Because now hes been talking that he might not get out of it. I have been able.to get clients on my own tho. I currently have 6, I know its.not.much but.I.have also.not paid for.any advertising its all been word of mouth, and me calling local businesses asking if they're accepting bids. But my goal.is to.have around.30 by the.end.of.the season
If you don't go now, you never will.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwilamosky View Post
I currently am enrolled at The Ohio State University and double majoring in Construction Management and Finance.

that's why I majored in something, Construction, where I could still have the possibility of being outside everyday and earning good money.
Yeah, you're probably going to realize that "outside" means sitting inside modular offices that are located outside. For the industry, your double major is a great choice.

My brother is in const mgt, currently building your new cancer hospital. O-H!
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.07266 seconds with 7 queries