Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Help me price this Townhome

Just looking for some insight on pricing out this townhome. This is my first HOA bid. Basically it is mostly just weedeating and landscape work. There is very little mowing.

Here are some details. The back behind the homes is all on a hill so weedeating is pretty much all necessary. It is approximately a half acre of weedeating. There may be 1/10 acre of mowing that has to be done also.

My biggest concern is figuring out how to price the landscape section of this. They have between the sidewalk and the parking lot Juniperus nana ground cover which they want kept off the parking lot and sidewalk. Based on my measurements the areas are at 473 ft long x 10 ft wide and 147 ft long x 7 ft wide. But approximately half of this is real spotty with barely any juniper coverage but weeds are taking over so there will be alot of maintaining on that aspect too. There is 12 crape myrtles and 4 bradford pear trees in little center islands that need maintained. There is 4 subdivides between the buildings that are 30 x 14 that have about 8 hedges in there with rock in between.

Next there is a line of hedges along the roadside that measure at 630 foot that need to be maintained 2-3 times a year. They are probably about 5 foot tall. Plus a hillside that will need weed maintained on occasions but it stays pretty shaded there due to lines of bradford pear trees. Hill measures 630 ft by 15 ft.

Then of course we have the main entrance sign area. It will need approximately 4 yards of mulch plus maintain 2 crape myrtles and 8 hedges.

What do you guys think it would take to maintain something like this? I am suppose to write up the proposal. I just wasn't expecting that much landscape. We can handle the work. Mostly just do the mowing aspects but there was hardly any mowing so makes the bid trickier. Hate to underbid it and then be stuck in a bad spot.

Also wants me to bid in the landscape up against each home separately. Said technically that it is the owners responsibility but it doesn't appear they are maintaining them. There is 28 homes in the complex. The areas measure 10 x 8 which consists of a few small hedges and maybe a Japanese maple in various areas. Plus the weed maintain of those. I asked about mulch but said that it would have to be separate and not something they are looking at right at the moment.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No one got any advice? I just havent typically done large hedge trimming jobs like this. Most jobs have been just a small hedge here and there. Not a whole row. Never have given a full quote for a whole year. Need to just figure up a weekly price then times that by our mowing season to get a price but I know the bushes and stuff will not need trimmed every week so that is where it is hard to figure or maybe I am overthinking it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxrider52 View Post
Just looking for some insight on pricing out this townhome. This is my first HOA bid. Basically it is mostly just weedeating and landscape work. There is very little mowing.

Here are some details. The back behind the homes is all on a hill so weedeating is pretty much all necessary. It is approximately a half acre of weedeating. There may be 1/10 acre of mowing that has to be done also.

My biggest concern is figuring out how to price the landscape section of this. They have between the sidewalk and the parking lot Juniperus nana ground cover which they want kept off the parking lot and sidewalk. Based on my measurements the areas are at 473 ft long x 10 ft wide and 147 ft long x 7 ft wide. But approximately half of this is real spotty with barely any juniper coverage but weeds are taking over so there will be alot of maintaining on that aspect too. There is 12 crape myrtles and 4 bradford pear trees in little center islands that need maintained. There is 4 subdivides between the buildings that are 30 x 14 that have about 8 hedges in there with rock in between.

Next there is a line of hedges along the roadside that measure at 630 foot that need to be maintained 2-3 times a year. They are probably about 5 foot tall. Plus a hillside that will need weed maintained on occasions but it stays pretty shaded there due to lines of bradford pear trees. Hill measures 630 ft by 15 ft.

Then of course we have the main entrance sign area. It will need approximately 4 yards of mulch plus maintain 2 crape myrtles and 8 hedges.

What do you guys think it would take to maintain something like this? I am suppose to write up the proposal. I just wasn't expecting that much landscape. We can handle the work. Mostly just do the mowing aspects but there was hardly any mowing so makes the bid trickier. Hate to underbid it and then be stuck in a bad spot.

Also wants me to bid in the landscape up against each home separately. Said technically that it is the owners responsibility but it doesn't appear they are maintaining them. There is 28 homes in the complex. The areas measure 10 x 8 which consists of a few small hedges and maybe a Japanese maple in various areas. Plus the weed maintain of those. I asked about mulch but said that it would have to be separate and not something they are looking at right at the moment.
Mite put up some pictures. Hqve they given you a docujejt with reqs. If it is presently b3ing maintained What is the proplem?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Break it down by weekly maintenance items like mowing/trimming/edging x33/year, periodic maintenance items like hedge trimming and pruning x3/year, yearly items like mulch/spring cleanup/fall cleanup x1/year. Add them all up and divide by the number of times you are going to invoice each year. Or give them list of cost per service, when the services will be done and bill them when you complete the service.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Mite put up some pictures. Hqve they given you a docujejt with reqs. If it is presently b3ing maintained What is the proplem?
I dont have any pictures besides google earth. There was no document. Their requirements werent really strict. Just wanted mowed every 7-10 days and juniper kept off sidewalk and park lot and beds maintained free of weeds. They said the previous landscaper kept being inconsistent and would allow stuff to get grown up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
Break it down by weekly maintenance items like mowing/trimming/edging x33/year, periodic maintenance items like hedge trimming and pruning x3/year, yearly items like mulch/spring cleanup/fall cleanup x1/year. Add them all up and divide by the number of times you are going to invoice each year. Or give them list of cost per service, when the services will be done and bill them when you complete the service.
Thanks, I had to submit the bid. I just bidded it for 8 months of service. It came out to about 275 a week. Typically our mowing season runs till about mid Oct but the contract will run until Nov 31 for final clean ups and pruning of everything. How do you all mostly do payments? I put in that total cost will be split up between 8 months and due at end of each month or do alot of people bill them at a 12 month cycle? From what I figured I bidded them at 45% of their HOA dues for the year so not sure what their budget is just for lawn care.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It needs to be monthly and hard to believe no maintenance for 4 months. The HOA needs to be specific on how many visits.....no 7 to 10 day then complain about being inconsistent.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
It needs to be monthly and hard to believe no maintenance for 4 months. The HOA needs to be specific on how many visits.....no 7 to 10 day then complain about being inconsistent.
Well once the leaves are gone around here, there is really nothing else that needs to be done. Nothing is growing anymore. We dont get enough snow to have a snow contract. Given the type of terrain around the townhomes, alot of the area probably wouldnt even need weekly mowing. We have rocky soil here in alot of areas.