Register free!

Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

# of accounts vs. quality of service

So I have a situation. We have 4 trucks plus me and have added a truck to our fert division each year for the last 4 years. I see no reason why we can't keep doing that for the next 10 years if we really want. I don't think I really want that. Right now, I feel that we can really do a good job with our accounts, and give really prompt and expert service. We have really great techs, and it shows. Could we hire 10 more really great techs? I'm not sure, but I kind of doubt it. We need to make a big jump this year to fill out our 4th truck but I am kind of leaning toward not advertising next year and just start raising prices and weeding out customers I don't want and just stay the same size. I am not convinced we can have the same quality of service with 15 techs as we can with 4-5. We have really been working hard in the past few years on our systems and automating everything possible and making standard procedures for everything so we can treat our customers as consistently as possible and not let anything fall through the cracks. I am sure if we kept growing, our cancellation rate would increase as well. We were at 11.7% last year and it has steadily been going down the past few years. I think we can get to single didgets - right now we have been growing fast and end up picking up customers that we know are not "keepers" and that artificially inflates our cancellation rate. Does anyone have any input on this? Are there companies out there with 10-15 techs with good cancellation rates? good employees? few problems? Examples please.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

# of accounts vs. quality of service

I'm interested in this as well subscribed
Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm just a small fish but I hear horror stories from a couple of the big players in my area. One told me at a seminar this winter that his goal is to always staff 13 techs even though he only needs 10 because in any given week 3 won't show or will quit. He pays $28k-30k/year which is pretty decent for around here. He also staffs 1 full time tech just to deal with customer complaints in the field.

The other larger guys I know all refer to their company as "a beast that constantly needs fed". Maybe they overstate it just for the drama factor, but they sure seem to do a ton of advertising to try to make up for their cancellations.

Should be an interesting thread!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

One thing to think about, is adding another management level to your company. Right now it sounds like you have 4-5 techs. Are you their oversight and managing them? If so, maybe you can get to 10 techs and it would be worth hiring someone to manage those 10. Maybe promote a current tech who has a lot of experience and knows what it is like to be hands on. That way you can step away from that responsibility and focus on bigger and better. Growth is all about systemizing and delegating responsibility to others so you, the owner, can focus on growth and not be stuck in the day to day operations. I wish you luck, it is never an easy task.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great post KL.

My take is that you need to figure out how much is enough for you personally.

Do you need to go bigger? Do you need more income or do you wish to provide good jobs for Michigan workers and have some personal philosophy? Are you trying to create some legacy for your family and children? How much do you want to manage and baby sit other peoples children?

I see no real good reason why you can not translate your small town feel and service level into a larger company if you wanted too. It would be a challenge but it can be done.

The employee thing is percentages. You're gonna have a few bums in every season and every lot.

#babysitting
Old 04-04-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe74 View Post
I'm interested in this as well subscribed
same deal for me
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're at a major tipping point in business and you know your 2 options. You have to decide how big you want to be. Its difficult but possible to expand without losing service quality but you will have to commit yourself to making that happen and stay away from everything else for a while. With good systems and management structure you can continue your growth. You will increase overhead if you go that route so you need to account for that in any growth strategy. If you're relatively happy where you're at it may not be worth the time effort and money to keep expanding and just perfect what you're doing now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliablelawn View Post
One thing to think about, is adding another management level to your company. Right now it sounds like you have 4-5 techs. Are you their oversight and managing them? If so, maybe you can get to 10 techs and it would be worth hiring someone to manage those 10. Maybe promote a current tech who has a lot of experience and knows what it is like to be hands on. That way you can step away from that responsibility and focus on bigger and better. Growth is all about systemizing and delegating responsibility to others so you, the owner, can focus on growth and not be stuck in the day to day operations. I wish you luck, it is never an easy task.
Agree, but if you as the owner LOVE to be working in the day to day ops, then that is something you have to think about. I know I would not want to just push paper all summer long....
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Agree, but if you as the owner LOVE to be working in the day to day ops, then that is something you have to think about. I know I would not want to just push paper all summer long....
That's very true. Funny thing is, now when I'm solo working 60 hour weeks I can't think of anything but being out of the field. When (if) that time comes, I'm sure ill be thinking about being back in the field.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you grow correctly, your cancel rate should come down each year as you refine your processes and systems. Things that help your cancel rate

Selling on price is a big no no - "what's your best price from someone else, we will beat it by $5". Nope, you're now a commodity.

Selling with huge discounts first year - nope, you've now created a revolving door where people are looking for the best deal each spring. Don't count on repeat business from this crowd.

Not accurately measuring each lawn. Nope, now when you bring accurate size / price to client year 2, you're gone.

Setting unrealistic expectations from sales people. Have heard others say 2 aaps and violets are gone. How do you keep that account with violets next year?

There you go. Don't do those things, sell more more than those moving or dieing and you'll have a growing and successful enterprise.
Posted via Mobile Device