Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark 21" commercial x series mower

I am looking for a commercial 21" mower that bags up the leaves and grass well. Mow around 50 lawns a week and 90% of them we use 21's to cut them. Have always used the Toro 21" commercial mowers with the 2 cycle Suzuki engine proline mowers. They are built like tanks and very reliable but didn't always bag the greatest or would leave stringers on the cut. Im looking at the Exmark 21" commercial x series mower with the Kawi and BBC. Any feedback on this mower? I used the search engine but didn't find much information on this mower. Thanks to all that reply.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLawns83 View Post
I am looking for a commercial 21" mower that bags up the leaves and grass well. Mow around 50 lawns a week and 90% of them we use 21's to cut them. Have always used the Toro 21" commercial mowers with the 2 cycle Suzuki engine proline mowers. They are built like tanks and very reliable but didn't always bag the greatest or would leave stringers on the cut. Im looking at the Exmark 21" commercial x series mower with the Kawi and BBC. Any feedback on this mower? I used the search engine but didn't find much information on this mower. Thanks to all that reply.
Posted via Mobile Device
Check out the 30". It is a lot more productive and not as big as a walk behind
Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I actually am at the moment, do you have one by chance? I see they had transmission issues but seem to be fixed now. Any other feedback on the Exmark commercial 30's? Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have both and both are great mowers. All depends on what you need it for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I actually am at the moment, do you have one by chance? I see they had transmission issues but seem to be fixed now. Any other feedback on the Exmark commercial 30's? Thanks!
I just bought a used toro timemaster for dirt cheap. Still has a year of warranty and has less than 20 hours. It is the residential version but this was a offer I just couldn't refuse. Took it to the dealer the other day and they are replacing the transmission. They said that they never had the trans problem with this mower, but I have heard a lot about it with the Exmarks. I am pretty sure that the problem has been resolved with the new mowers. It is a great mower and is very fast. I now have no need for a 21" because I can go anywhere a 21 can go and do it all a lot faster with the 30".
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Only downfall on the 30" is probably since it weighs 170lbs doesn't handle hills the best? How does it bag? We bag all of our lawns by the way. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Only downfall on the 30" is probably since it weighs 170lbs doesn't handle hills the best? How does it bag? We bag all of our lawns by the way. Thanks!
I cant say much about its handling until i get it back with the new trans. It bags great. I have been using it for the leaves i get out of beds and it sucks them right off of the grass no problem.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought an Exmark 21" X Series mower with the Kawasaki engine last year. Mine doesn't have the BBC however. Overall, I have really enjoyed this mower. It's an unbelievable bagger. It will bag thick wet grass and leaves with no problem and more importantly with little build up under the deck. I haven't seen any more work more efficiently than this Exmark in wet thick turf and I have tried many mowers including the Toro commercial 21" like you have. As a mulcher, the mower is decent but not the greatest. My residential toro superbagger actually mulches better. Durability has been good except for 3 annoying issues: drive belts that keep getting lose, a hard starting Kawasaki engine, and a bag that won't seal correctly thus allowing grass clippings to escape. Overall, it's a great machine and I would recommend it. I'm not sure about the Exmark 30 as I have never used it before. I've been tempted to get it but I'm not sure if it would work as well as the 21" since most of my properties have about 2000-5000 sq feet of turf and are tightly landscaped with narrow backyard gates and paths. Here is a link to me using the machine on leaves last fall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTlZtiZJy5s
Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input man, I will definitely pick up an exmark 21" commercial with the kawi engine and the bbc. Still contemplating on the 30", I see all the bugs are worked out of the tranny issues it had but we will see what happens.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure the Exmark 21 is a good mower, but I would check the Honda Commercial 21 inch out also. Mine has been flawless in over 150 hours.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s