Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
If I remember correctly, all of the 21" commercial mowers are within about 10 pounds difference in weight. What brand 30" commercial can you buy for around $1000?
The honda commercial hydro stat is definitely well into the heaviest out there.

around here, that mower is $1200.00

The 30" is $1700.

so like I was saying, if you're going to deal with something that isn't very light, and already expensive…might as well buy a 30" (seeing as the drawback to the 30" over 21s is weight and price… but the honda commercial hydrostatic comes close to matching it on both those cons)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My point is you don't know the differences in the 30" models available. You're simply throwing around a blanket statement. Just because it has a "commercial" sticker on it, doesn't make it truly commercial. If you spent any time researching or actually using 30" mowers, you'd know that none of them are truly commercial mowers, despite how they're marketed.

Yes. I do know the differences, in the 30" mowers you asked about. That's why I chose what I have. That's why many other people who make their living mowing have chosen the same mower that I have. But, you somehow think that just because they don't have a "commercial" sticker on them, they're not worthy enough to make a living with.

The differences in 21" mowers is much more apparent. What applies to them doesn't apply to the 30".

Revisit your entire statement:
Dude, you can make a living with a Murray from Walmart if you choose.

I have no reason to look at the specs on the 30" mowers as I use a 36" walk behind where needed.

I am sure the 30" mowers are good mowers but from looking at some of the descriptions they would not fit the bill for the toughness I need from a mower.

I gave $980 for my Honda about 18 months ago.

You still haven't shown me a 30" "commercial" mower that can be bought for about $1000 which was the original question.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post

This is the mower you need
Posted via Mobile Device
Damn right! These are sexy looking mowers too.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No one has still said the difference on homeowner vs commercial.

It's funny cause quite a few commercial cutters are using the "homeowner" version.

It's not quite time cutter vs lazer imo
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im under the assumption that Exmark 30 uses a commercial engine, commercial wheels, stronger wheel adjusters with more support, larger fuel tank, guards, and a commercial transmission. I dont think there is much performance difference but Id say the Exmark will last longer and take more abuse. Both Exmark and Toro 30's have had multiple updates and problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
No one has still said the difference on homeowner vs commercial.

It's funny cause quite a few commercial cutters are using the "homeowner" version.

It's not quite time cutter vs lazer imo
Posted via Mobile Device
I am using the homeowner version and I can assure you that it works. The commercial has a thicker deck and less features. I cant see spending another 600 or however much just for a thicker deck. I'm not racing my mower or anything like that so what is the point.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im under the assumption that Exmark 30 uses a commercial engine, commercial wheels, stronger wheel adjusters with more support, larger fuel tank, guards, and a commercial transmission. I dont think there is much performance difference but Id say the Exmark will last longer and take more abuse. Both Exmark and Toro 30's have had multiple updates and problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
The exmark transmission was recalled when the mower first came out. They were cheap made in china transmissions. I can't see any performance difference between the models so there's not much sence in getting the commercial mower.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttingEdge LawnCare View Post
The exmark transmission was recalled when the mower first came out. They were cheap made in china transmissions. I can't see any performance difference between the models so there's not much sence in getting the commercial mower.
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I feel they were rushed into production before they were ready. Personally if I were to buy one it would be the Exmark for the engine and wheels. Then again I would just buy a 36" WB instead....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably why I am sticking with Exmark 21s and might just pick up a 36 inch Turf Tracer
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I feel they were rushed into production before they were ready. Personally if I were to buy one it would be the Exmark for the engine and wheels. Then again I would just buy a 36" WB instead....
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea. I have the toro timemaster. The only problem with the 36WB is that it will not fit through some gates and it has to go on the retailer. The 30 can get through any gate and I can lift it into the truck bed for more trailer space if I need it.