Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Techo-Bloc Warranty Problems

We built a patio Techo-Bloc Patio last year using over 80 pallets of product. Eight pallets of York coping and 5 York Pillar caps have shown severe efflorescence which has been professionally cleaned (leaving it patchy and mottled).

But the main problem is that there are distinct color 'lines' which are a result of the way they were packaged with foam between layers. The foam held moisture in and effected the color and created the lines. Techo has since changed their packaging system.

Techo-bloc is willing to provide the caps for replacement and a small amount of money towards labor to replace. I will be losing thousands of dollars, if I accept their deal. Anyone else had experience with Techo on their warranty?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I know when I built a display of Aberdeen and Monticello, some eff stains were very noticeable, but they now look pretty clean.

This seems to be pretty common among wet cast product. I see the same thing with Devonstone.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We just installed a small quantity of Techo product and the mini creta caps had the worst color blending I've ever seen.

I'm too busy to complain, so we'll live with it this one time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We installed 15 Techo-Bloc Rocka steps last fall. The finishing on the product was poorly done and the customer was unhappy. The local rep came out. Techo is offering $50 per step to replace them. I wanted double that. This job isn't just plucking the steps out and replacing them. The pavers in between will need repair work also. I'm not looking forward to redoing this job. A final decision has yet to be made.
Attached Images

61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I am very used to efflo on Portafino and the column caps. I can deal with that and yes weathering will help.

With this stuff there are these distinct lines from the foam packaging that go around the caps. The client looks down on the patio from their deck and house and they see all the lines.

I fear that this new wet cast plant they built is working out all the bugs and we contractors are footing a chunk of the bill.

I used hundreds of pallets of Techo last year, and I am rethinking now that they will not stand with me on this (my first warranty issue).
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep thats completely unacceptable. Call Paver Pete and ask him why Techo isnt standing behind its product. Thats alot of coin there. Do they say there is any chance of the lines fading?Maybe use a test cap and try a sealer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The bottom pic is after cleaning. Brian Thacker, my Techo Sales guys, and I cleaned and tried sealing several sample pieces and the lines still shine right through. Sealer remedies efflorescence discoloration but not the lines.

Good idea on calling Pete - think I have his number.