Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Harassment by mail

So we mail a few postcards every spring and it's typical that we get calls asking us to take them off our list. We usually say sure, sure, sure, make some noise on a keyboard and hang up. To my knowledge there is nothing like a do not call for mail.

The other day a lawyer for an estate that got one of our postcards called and used the words "harassment by mail". Had such a good time going round and round with him. Managed to rack up almost a 10 minute call with him. Hope he bills them for wasting my time.

Apparently it's a real rule but only applies to raunchy mail or race offensive mail.

Thought I'd thro this out there if anyone ever gets into this issue in the future. Best answer for them is either a polite good by or the dial tone if they are pricks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This would be great for the people that thing door hangers and such are harassment to customers too

At least you know he's seen it more than once now lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
So we mail a few postcards every spring and it's typical that we get calls asking us to take them off our list. We usually say sure, sure, sure, make some noise on a keyboard and hang up. To my knowledge there is nothing like a do not call for mail.

The other day a lawyer for an estate that got one of our postcards called and used the words "harassment by mail". Had such a good time going round and round with him. Managed to rack up almost a 10 minute call with him. Hope he bills them for wasting my time.

Apparently it's a real rule but only applies to raunchy mail or race offensive mail.

Thought I'd thro this out there if anyone ever gets into this issue in the future. Best answer for them is either a polite good by or the dial tone if they are pricks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hell, just knowing that it pissed those kind of people off is well worth the cost of the mailer in my opinion !! Keep sending
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's awesome! I've had a few people who email me after getting a card. I simply tell them sorry and I have no control over who gets a postcard. A company(me) generates a list based on certain demographics.

I'd send them one every month haha. I'm shocked an attorney would even touch this...must be on retainer
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's hilarious. Just throw the thing out, it's no
Big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody get email replies from paper karma? I got 1 last year and 4 this year. It is some kind of unsubscribe service for mail. The even send me a picture of my postcard. Its so nice of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Karma? That sounds like religious discrimination to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Sponsor

It is a pity that members of this site can make a mockery out of contacting people by direct mail when these same people really don't want to receive this information at all. Given enough complaints I am reasonably assured a law or Two will be passed in the future mainly because some folks are willing to spoil this means of advertising by not updating a mailing list or make excuses not to.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
It is a pity that members of this site can make a mockery out of contacting people by direct mail when these same people really don't want to receive this information at all. Given enough complaints I am reasonably assured a law or Two will be passed in the future mainly because some folks are willing to spoil this means of advertising by not updating a mailing list or make excuses not to.
easy-lift guy
I doubt it. Direct mail keeps our governments poor excuse for a postal service alive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
easy-lift guy
I really don't understand you

How do you expect people to advertise? There is NO law that says you cannot advertise.

Almost every method you put down. Word of mouth is a waste of time. That's for solo people.

So what kind of advertising do you like? Keep in mind one avenue is never going to work. You need several avenues of advertising.

And yes it is a mockery. And I have no issues with it. I bet these same people don't receive news paper or 300 other advertisements a week right?

Just cause we use over sized postcards and someone complains? He'll I'm happy someone complained. They got noticed!

FYI we use a different method of advertising for another industry. We average 35 calls and 3 complaints every 2 weeks. Does it stop me? Hell no. It's the best advertising we have
Posted via Mobile Device