Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Just finished my website any suggestions?

I just built a website for my lawn company on wordpress please take a look and give me some feedback.

Turfboys.com
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Sponsor

Change the picture of Cullen. A cropped picture takes away from what I believe is a really nice website.
Best Regards
easy-lift guy
Old 04-05-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Looks nice! Like it
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Re: the About Us pics, I think their poor quality only underscores the likelihood that the rest of the site photos are comprised of stock photography. The pics of the owners should exist to engage the visitor and spur recognition when you visit their property. A hazy pic of Quint swinging a golf club, with his ear being the only discernible feature, isn't doing much good for anyone. Cullen's pic is in that same category of "this doesn't fit the site or circumstance".

- As for the rest of the site, it looks good, however I'd minimize some of the "bloggy" aspects that are used. For example, Facebook Comments loading for the About Us page, or any other. On two of the pages, there was latency to it's load. Overall, your site has a lot of server calls, from plugins and theme-related loads.

- On scroll, the fixed sidebar widget of the contact form is overlaying the footer.

- Get a contact number/info up in the header and down in the footer. Plenty of space and people expect to find it there.

- Your company and Matt's Lawn Service are going to run in to duplicate content issues. Which site do you guys want ranking ahead of the other?
http://turfboys.com/core-aeration/
http://matts-lawn-service.com/lawn-aeration/
- The Tweets widget seems to exist as a whizz-bang bit of fluff. The approach used for Twitter has no real use (the initial, profile link back to your site is about it) as the Tweets of "Aeration [link]" amounts to indiscriminate shouting in to the Grand Canyon. I'd come up with a real strategy if you're going to bother with Twitter.

- The home page slider is a beast (your page weight is over 3Mb). Photos should not be saved as .png If you optimize and save them as .jpg, you'll be much better off and your users won't die a slow death waiting for them to load on their phones.

- I'd keep an eye on your Analytics/Webmaster Tools data and see if people are organically finding your service page called "Soil Ph Balancing". If not, I'd figure out a less technical, more searched term than that.

- Pay attention to the rank of your duplicate city landing pages and make adjustments to your approach. (rough math tells me that your site, and Matt's, accounts for 36 pages of duplicate, city landing page content.)

- Work location data in to your Title tags and content, not just relegating them to those landing pages and footer stuffs.

Good start. I think. It's hard to say, given the copy that it is of Matt's Lawn Service site, so I'm not sure who is really off to the good start. I'll give you the leg up, if only because I don't see this pic on your copy of the site.

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-05-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow thank you. That is exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for! I'll do some modifications today and see if i can fix those issues.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Please find someone to edit your text. I can't even begin to list all the mistakes in spelling, grammar, and word usage that I found on every page. (Unless you want me to.)

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 04-05-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
Please find someone to edit your text. I can't even begin to list all the mistakes in spelling, grammar, and word usage that I found on every page. (Unless you want me to.)
PM me and I would be glad to help.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 04-08-2014, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Member

A few notes at quick glance.

I don't see anywhere obvious on the home page of what your service area is. This is pretty important for a local business for both search engines and human visitors. I see it in the small text but it would be smart to feature it more.

Improve loading time by optimizing images as much as possible. The slider is taking the longest to load as tonygreek mentioned. Those images are the most important to optimize.

A couple headings in the footer would help to organize all those links. As they are now, they are a bit overwhelming to look at. Maybe create headings "Service Areas" and "Services"
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Just saw the request bid page. It looks like you're using WooCommerce but do you know how the Request Bid function works. Is it custom or some kind of add-on to WooCommerce?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips. How do I optimize the images? just save them as jpegs? I made the request bid form myself and its seems to work good not sure how secure it is though. Ive been busy doing estimates this week and havent gotten around to editing my site much yet.

Tags
web development , website design , website marketing , website review