Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

New Install - DIYer

Hi guys,

Name is Brandon. I live in OKC and we're looking to install an irrigation system. I'm looking for advice on what you pros would use for our yard. I figure you all keep up with the technology that's available, so I thought I'd pick your brains. My back yard is 150 x 150. Pipe is 1" HDPE Poly. 18 GPM at 50PSI near water tank in well house. POC will be just outside of the well house, approx 10 ft from testing point. I did the test after running water for 10 min at 50 PSI and then tested again after an hour and had same results. Not sure if it matters, but the controller is a RB ESP-LX modular controller. Soil is extremely sandy.

What I'm looking for now is what you all would do with the large area that isn't colored in. 'A' is the well house. B is a garden. 'C' is a chicken coop. The green areas are flower gardens. In the Google Earth photo, I've outline my property with the yellow line, MOL. It's a bit over-rotated, but s/b close enough.

Any questions, please feel free. I'll do all I can to make something clearer or get pictures. The large uncolored area has zero shade for nearly the entire day. As it gets later in the evening, the bottom of the pictures begin to get shading from neighbor's trees, but that's about it.

I truly appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

chi_town
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I should've also mentioned, the numbers on the grid are line counts. For actual footage, just double the number.

chi_town
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...wpost&t=324405

A great deal of time has been spent on this subject. You might try putting together a plan and then asking for constructive criticism.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I had a plan drawn up for the backyard using RB 3500s, but I've spent a few days reading all of the posts I could on MP Rotators and 5400s and am just curious if you guys would suggest using those or if there's something better out there to use. My father-in-law can get Hunter, RB and a few other companies at very good prices as they are a supplier. He initially sent me 1804s and 3500s, but like I said, after reading various posts on the other products, I'm second thinking using the 3500s. I understand I'm a DIYer and had read your link (thus the DIY in the title), but I am hoping you will all share some of your knowledge with me. I promise I can post pics of my finished product and you guys can rip me and my results once I'm done. Right now, I'm not wanting like a head count or any holding my hand for placement, I'm just looking at rotor vs rotator or a mix and what make/model you all would use to do that large area of the yard.

Cheers,

chi_town

Last edited by chi_town60608; 04-06-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a lot of people on here like the mp's.

I would most likely use I-20s for the turf area.
Not a big rain bird fan

If you have a steep elevation change mps are good.

Personally think mp's are the way of the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_town60608 View Post
I had a plan drawn up for the backyard using RB 3500s, but I've spent a few days reading all of the posts I could on MP Rotators and 5400s and am just curious if you guys would suggest using those or if there's something better out there to use. My father-in-law can get Hunter, RB and a few other companies at very good prices as they are a supplier. He initially sent me 1804s and 3500s, but like I said, after reading various posts on the other products, I'm second thinking using the 3500s. I understand I'm a DIYer and had read your link (thus the DIY in the title), but I am hoping you will all share some of your knowledge with me. I promise I can post pics of my finished product and you guys can rip me and my results once I'm done. Right now, I'm not wanting like a head count or any holding my hand for placement, I'm just looking at rotor vs rotator or a mix and what make/model you all would use to do that large area of the yard.

Cheers,

chi_town
Some people, DIY as well as contractors are under the impression that LS is here to rip people to pieces for what can by considered substandard work. That can be but is far from always true.

If you have a plan; supply & demand requirements, slope, soil, sun, shade and plant requirements then you have half the battle won. Personal preference of one brand or type of spray, rotor or rotator is based on regional availability and the luck that the installer has had with said product.

I'm a poor representative of the irrigation forum since I don't really service and I don't really install. I troubleshoot problematic systems, mostly wiring.

I like hunter valves, RB1804/6 sprays and 5000p rotors. MPs are great in the proper applications but I don't believe in mixing mps and rotors on the same zones. Mps have their place and may help you control runoff due to the longer application time.

I will contact a few respectable members and alert them to your thread. No promises.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I will contact a few respectable members and alert them to your thread. No promises.
I would greatly appreciate it!

Quote:
Some people, DIY as well as contractors are under the impression that LS is here to rip people to pieces for what can by considered substandard work. That can be but is far from always true.
I meant that a bit tongue-in-cheek; I'm sure I'll provide plenty of fodder for them to criticize.

I hadn't planned on mixing them zone-wise. I just meant mixing them in plan-wise. I know aesthetically it might not be the best, but I am only interested in the system working. Our lawn is infested with those goat head stickers Oklahoma is famous for and I'm tired of not having a yard that my small sons can't play in. I mean, we have nearly an acre of yard and there's not a 4 foot square they can play in where they won't step on a sticker. And if you've never experienced them, they are bad enough to cause a leak in tires. the only way we'll get rid of them is to get a system in place to water the yard.

Again, I appreciate any info on hardware you guys would suggest.

chi_town
Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with doing an entire system with mps.

They save water, efficent, need less pressure, etc. they're just not all that popular yet because a lot of irrigation people are set in their old school ways
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO using MP's would be a mistake and there would be no advantages based on what I am seeing. All of our designs from small to large are done with Land FX AutoCAD and we only use stream sprays if required which is normally around 18' to 22'.

Use a large turf rotor like the RB 5000 Plus or Hunter I-20. These sprinklers will allow for 30'-34' spacing, so there will be no savings using MP's.

whiffy? Please explain how MP's save water and are more efficient and please do not quote the manufacturer? I guess anyone can call themselves an irrigation professional including myself, yet my "old school" experience of 30 years IMO could get me some street cred. LOL

From what I have seen around our area; the "new school" contractors like MP's because they can stretch zones to save a valve here and there. Also, I have never seen an MP adequately water close to 30' let alone 25'. I never understood how the first thing that comes to mind when pressure is low is to use MP's. We will either install a booster pump or size the zones accordingly. I also do not design systems to be as cheap as possible.

The OP will end up with more laterals and sprinkler heads using MP's versus a turf rotor. To be completely open and honest, we are a Rainbird Select Contractor so we prefer the 5004 Plus, but I have nothing bad to say about the Hunter line of rotors. We did install over 4000 RB rotors this past year with a very small warranty return rate.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would use MP 3000's spaced 27' apart. I may be from TX but I spent a while at OU getting my degree, the MP's will fair better in the wind. All you have to do to understand the water savings is watch the fog over a single stream rotor zone, under the same conditions the MP will not fog near as much.

I love the "I have been doing this 30 yrs" argument. My company installs more systems in one year than most will in thirty. Just because I have been tinkering with Hot Rods for 10 yrs doesn't mean I know more about it than a mechanic that has been full time for 6 months.
Posted via Mobile Device