Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not sure if this is true or not, but someone once told me that using railroad ties for a garden is a bad idea. That the chemicals they use to treat the railroad ties will leak out into the soil and into the plants that you are growing to eat. Anyone know if this is true or someone pulling my leg?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to wonder about that myself. I never knew if that actually happened or not. I can't even count the number of people I've seen with railroad ties around gardens. Maybe that's why they are so damn weird...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what I found on a U of Missouri website about railroad ties and gardens.

Creosote, which is used to treat railroad ties, may cause injury or death to plants that come into direct contact with it. After a few years the effect diminishes. Old, discarded ties do not injure plants (Figure 3). However, injury may occur if ties are still oozing black, sticky creosote or smell intensely. If you are uncertain about the safety of treated lumber, place a heavy plastic liner between the treated lumber and soil used for growing plants to prevent direct contact of plant roots with the treated lumber. Be careful not to tear the plastic when tilling the bed.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My thing with them is they will fail alot sooner than anything else.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnTX View Post
I use the one in Garland workforce pretty often. Not so much for lawncare but for other jobs. It's a very good resource but you can also pick up a couple of bums. I would never pick up a Caucasian or A.M. from there. I pay 10+ an hour so obviously it has nothing to with "cheap labor" Its because you stand a better chance of getting a good worker. An able bodied Caucasian thats goes there, more often than not has "issues".

It very organized if you stay in line. The surrounding areas you will get your truck swamped.

A "little english" will also downgrade your choices in terms of a good worker. Sad but true I got one of those spanglish books for landscape terms. If you do get a someone who speaks english, then talk to him. Ask for his experience.

It's a little intimidating at first. You have a thousand eyes looking at you and you have to look them over as well. They are all holding a ticket with their number on it. At a glance you can look for things such as; boots, jeans or dickies, how are they wearing their cap. Its not a science but avoid tennis shoes and someone who doesn't look ready to work.

I haven't validated it yet but supposedly they have a number to give you for the IRS or they can't get in line. I need to find out all that as well so, we should all stay in touch on this issue.

I found a guy last year on craigslist. Excellent lawncare worker. I worked him all summer and I hope to see him back this spring.

A car is also something you can ask for but one of the tricks they all know about is to tell you they have no car. That way you get to pick them up. I've watched several guys walk straight to a car after dropping them off. This is after they said they no car.
They do not require anything from the people who show up. You just have to have a card on file with them like addy and phone number. I hate the Garland one and will never use them again. Anytime I have gone there was at the most 20 people there and nothing but scum.

Now for the past 6 years I have used Plano Day Labor. LOVE that place. At 7:00 you will see 50 people lined up. By 8 you can see 175 to 250 people there ready to work. Like you said you really have to see what you are getting. I am straight up honest cause I don't want to be coming back to drop off a guy cause he sucks. (Done this to many times)

My routine is this. I need a mexican guy that can mow and weedeat and has to be good or I am bringing him back. If you don't say that they will just give you the next person on the list that says he does landscaping and most of the time they don't even know how to start the mower.

Also Plano Day Labor has been on the news. Wish I could find the link. They were accused of pushing out all the mexican guys for work and not getting any word for the blacks. So when channel 8 interviewed (Lordes) she said well no one wants a black to work for them. They all want mexican. I about died. She was accused of being racist at that point by the tv and radio guys. But in reality she is just telling the truth. After that she was not around for a while and they made some staff changes.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I myself didn't notice a difference between plano and garland. Theres a lot more than 20 people there now. Recently I had real good luck. I found one guy that knows his stuff and also has several amigos. Plano is way too far.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a pipe rack for my F-150? Looking to put PVC pipe on it and maybe a ladder. Thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to go up there Monday. They can definately build it for you.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Come on DFW guys! Dont let this go away! Hows the new year treating you so far?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the weather would stay nice for more than 2 days after it rains and gets cold for 3, I'd be doing alot better.