Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

what kind of trucks do you drive? I am going to buy a truck this week and i know what i want but i am bored so i thought i would ask what everyone else drove. Currently i have a f150 xl and believe it or not it has lasted five years pulling a trailer everyday. but, i have worn it out and it is going downhill fast. i want a F250 super duty 5.4 but there are some F150's with the same engine, so what am i getting with the F250? beefier transmission, what else? i am also looking at a Chevy 2500. is anybody else bored and would like to chime in on this?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well ones a 3/4 ton and ones a halfton, so therefore everything is beefier, not to mention a different bodystyle. Engines the same but it has a better suspension so therefore it tows more. If you have to have a gas engine, try for the V10. The fuel mileage is about the same as the V8 and you have so much more power.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we"ve been pretty busy this winter. froze on a job this morning when it was 23 degrees outside. i was dressed in khaki slacks for a meeting afterwards, and had loafers on.

note to self "dont dig a ditch wearing dress clothes, you'll freeze"
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
we"ve been pretty busy this winter. froze on a job this morning when it was 23 degrees outside. i was dressed in khaki slacks for a meeting afterwards, and had loafers on.

note to self "dont dig a ditch wearing dress clothes, you'll freeze"
Yeh!! If im dressed up theres no workin for me! ew slacks and loafers in 23 degree weather, no thanks!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I drive an F-150 with the 5.4 in it. The truck is great. It hauls whatever I need it to, anytime I want it to. Although, I don't think it enjoyed waking up thismorning when it was like 22 degrees outside. Then again... neither did I!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

woody, where are you located?
if you are getting serious about landscaping, you will need a bigger truck. I drive an f150 sometimes to check on accounts, and even for smaller tasks I wish I had driven a larger truck on those days.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

This winter has been great, even with the few cold fronts that have come through. I have been able to do some needed work on the new house we just moved into while having the best winter ever for business. So far we are already booked on lawn maintanence customers for 2009, and now getting our name out there more for working on irrigation installs/repair.

Its interesting watching how everyone is adapting to the changes in the economy. Have you guys noticed a big change around here? Anyone doing anything different this year?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
woody, where are you located?
if you are getting serious about landscaping, you will need a bigger truck. I drive an f150 sometimes to check on accounts, and even for smaller tasks I wish I had driven a larger truck on those days.
My truck does just fine. I'm only pulling 3500 pounds worth of trailer and equipment. It's not like I'm not pulling 10K up a hill everyday. I work in Parker County and up in the Lewisville, Flower Mound area.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMastersTx View Post
This winter has been great, even with the few cold fronts that have come through. I have been able to do some needed work on the new house we just moved into while having the best winter ever for business. So far we are already booked on lawn maintanence customers for 2009, and now getting our name out there more for working on irrigation installs/repair.

Its interesting watching how everyone is adapting to the changes in the economy. Have you guys noticed a big change around here? Anyone doing anything different this year?

I haven't noticed much of anything changing around here, aside from a few more clients saying, "let's wait until spring to take care of that stuff" than normal. Nothing I'm worried about. As far as doing things differently, I'm going to be watching payments more closely to make sure I keep the threat of someone skipping out on payment lower. As far as my lawn care schedule, I have had more people go ahead and agree to lawn maintenance for this year during winter, than I have ever had during the winter months. Overall I am pleased.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMastersTx View Post

If youre doing so well this winter wheres my sprinkler system?!!! Im kiddin bud. If You need any help at your house let me know!