Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turfdawg, viewing some of your post you seem to have a good handle on what is going on in texas.
My question for you is. What is the market for Hydroseeding down there? I own a company up here in NH, have been very busy and have grown at a rapid pace, no with 2 machines and 2 crews 5-6 days a week.
My father lives in Killeen,TX and has slowly got into the hydroseeding business in hopes to do some weekend and afternoon stuff, he has done alright, but has had trouble landing contracters with the valume he would like.

is the call just not there? or something else
Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Texas is a BIG state with many different types of areas, so I can only speak for the several counties around my area. Around my area hydroseeding is seldom done. Our two main grasses are Bermuda and St Augastine. Some of the bermuda can be grown from seed, but it takes awhile to germinate. The St Augastine cannot be grown from seed so that leaves that out. Around the only places I have noticed hydroseeding is on some large open commercial areas such as storm retention tanks and ditch banks. In my area I have layed Bermuda sod 12 months out of the year so this is what is usally done.
Others in different parts may have other views, but out of the couple of people I know that have the machines, it is a very small part of their biz.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydroseed soccer fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot4819 View Post
Turfdawg, viewing some of your post you seem to have a good handle on what is going on in texas.
My question for you is. What is the market for Hydroseeding down there? I own a company up here in NH, have been very busy and have grown at a rapid pace, no with 2 machines and 2 crews 5-6 days a week.
My father lives in Killeen,TX and has slowly got into the hydroseeding business in hopes to do some weekend and afternoon stuff, he has done alright, but has had trouble landing contracters with the valume he would like.

is the call just not there? or something else
The biggest areas for hydroseeding in texas I have seen are with the parks and along new highways. And there are always new sports fields being built in North Texas and new highways. If you could somehow get in the door on that you would never need to look for other work.

On the flip side a homeowner won't water seed properly in the Texas heat or even in early spring to germinate and keep the new turf alive. The best thing to do here is sod it. I am pushing the Cavalier Zoysia. That stuff is the cats meow baby.

Whole buncha crud
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Propane 21 inch mower

I had a demo today of a propane powered 21 honda mower today. It was crazy. I like a Toro witha Honda engine and the company said no problem getting the retrofit to go on the Toro.

Mow time same number of lawns with propane.
Cost of Propane. They say they will sell us the propane at cost if we buy this first year of sales and grandfather our prices to stay at cost as long as we buy fuel.

But this mower had increased by 40 pounds and had a 5 gallon fuel tank mounted on a metal bracket above the engine. Try getting it under tree for one close swipe to avoid using the Trimmer. Not happening.

Then you will have a rough time on hills and forget about going sideways on hills. Hills all together are pretty much out of the question with that extra weight.

The kit was going to cost roughly $600 Sorry not gonna do it.

It did run great though. But man back to the drawing board. check it out if you can find it online Metro Lawn Products from heritagepropane.com

THe good thing is they are going back to the drawing board and we could someday get a cost effective way to Go Greenish with our fuel. Low emissions is a big plus. You may not care about it but it may be a good thing to ad to your advertising pieces.

Whole buncha crud
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Propane 21 inch mower

They do have some great looking models for Z turns and walk behinds. $1200 conversion kit.

dunno if that link works. should be a picture
Attached Images

Whole buncha crud
Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a potential customer that I am meeting with around noon. Does anyone here do water features? I would like to pass your info to him. He sounds like he wants a feature with extra stone and a tropical theme in the back yard. I will get more info Thursday.

Thanks
Sub-contract Aerifying available too
Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn_jockey View Post
They do have some great looking models for Z turns and walk behinds. $1200 conversion kit.

dunno if that link works. should be a picture
As a prototype, that may work. Trying to sell that to someone borders on retarted. So from that tank, you get the same run type as one fill up? lol.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless they find a way to attach a grill on there somewhere, where I can mow and keep an eye on my steak at the same time, I think I'll pass, though I bet Hank Hill is thanking Jesus somewhere right now.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I just realized I used 3 commas in that run on sentence. It must be Saturday...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Woody82986;2770432]Unless they find a way to attach a grill on there somewhere, where I can mow and keep an eye on my steak at the same time

GENUISS, I love that ideal. A man after my own heart.