Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-02-2003, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Outrun jason,

No I don't have any trucks displaying our name on them....yet..

TO other LCOs:

Do any of you advertise in the Dallas morning news?...and what has been your response.

Also who drops of your flyers, at what rate per thousand and what is their number.

Keep this thread going....the longer it grows the more we help each other.

Adrian
Old 04-02-2003, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used the Dallas Morning News but I can tell you that I have used some neighborhood stuff. Like some homeowners associations have like a small book that they print up and distrubute to there memebers. I placed an add in the book but didn't have one call. So I would tell you to shy away from something like that. The cost was like $100.

As far as distributing flyers I just pay my guy $7.00 an hour and we go out together. I had called some companies about distributing flyers but I tossed there numbers. I think some wanted like .15 cents per flyer to put them out. I think they also created the flyers. But that is just to much for me for now.

Jason

Jason's Lawn Service
Old 04-02-2003, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm,

I appreciate the input on the homeowners Association paper....sounded like such a good idea. I will stay away from that, guess its something less to try.

I talked to someone that had place an as in the Dallas morning news and said that you do get calls but that they are scattered all over the place even if you state the area you are working they will call you from other areas. Also he said that the jobs were not that great.

Thought this would help.
Adrian
Old 04-02-2003, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is true about being scatterd. I did advertise I think in the greensheet or something a couple of years ago and I didn't like it. Most ppl dont go to the news paper for a lawn service. For one they shouldn't have to they should have enough flyers on there door if they need a lawn service.

Jason
Old 04-06-2003, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm concentrating on a 3 mile radius around my home in Lewisville. The 3 mile radius includes southern Lewisville, eastern Flower Mound and northern Coppell.

Just started out this January. Right now, I have 15 customers. 11 weekly mowing customers and another 4 who only take fertilization/weed control. Hoping to finish up next November with a lot more than that.

I see a ton of competition in my area. When I see another LCO with a name on the side of the truck, I write down the name. So far, I've counted 33 LCO's in my area that compete with me. There must be another 33 LCO's who don't even have a name for their business. Not even a magnetic sign on the side of the truck or a simple sign on the trailer.

Right now (April 6th) when I'm passing out flyers, I am noticing a ton of business cards from guys with no real business name, just their personal name. All are hispanic. I have a feeling these guys are pricing their mowing services really low.

Anyone have a feel for how cheap these guys are? I've thought about calling them out to my home to see how broken their english is or how cheap they are. I'm sure the presentation to the customer is terrible. I'm just curious to see how they price and present themselves.

Does anyone get the feeling that there may be too many folks in this business right now?

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 04-06-2003, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you that there are a lot of lawn companies. I don't know how there are so many. Sometimes I wonder how I am even hanging in there with all these other lawn companies.

As far as how cheap they are? In my area I see flyers for about $20 - $25 and some in the $30's. I don't think they are any cheaper than anyone else.

Jason
Old 04-06-2003, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I have advertised in a local neighborhood paper that is distributed to about 5k households every Sunday and Monday for a bout a year now. The ad cost me $10 per week and has more than paid for itself. I have thought about running an ad in the FW Star-Telegram for the NE area and specify my service areas but have yet to make up my mind. The Star-Telegram has about 1 1/2 columns of ads for yard work. I have also put out flyer's with little return.
As far as the low ballers they are taking their toll on all of us but what can you do but continue giving the best service for the fairest prices. I have yet to advertise on my truck or trailer but have been taking bids for both.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Meier,

I passed out flyers this weekend. I too saw alot of advertising from the hispanic community.

Unlike you, I did call to get an estimate. There is a house that belongs to a buddy of mine that was in the same area. I asked them to go look at it and give me a bid. I called 6 of these guys and 4 went to look at it and so far I have 3 bids. They were all in the same range as what we charge. No low ballers....at least not the ones I called.
Actually one guy was really high...

But there is alot of competition in this field.....that is the nature of the beast.

Just thought you guys might want to know that.

Adrian
Old 04-07-2003, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a question about flyers and calls. March, April, May. Which month do you recieve the most calls in?

Jason

Jason's Lawn Service
Old 04-07-2003, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you pay your employee

How much? I just lost my guy that I have had for a long time. He just couldn't stay out of trouble. I went to a labor camp today and talk to someone but wandering what advice yall can give me.

Thanks, Jason