Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2003, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

++++I got a question about flyers and calls. March, April, May. Which month do you recieve the most calls in++++

I was having the best responce the last two weeks of March, just as the Bermuda was coming out of dormancy.

I've been doing flyers since early February. If I'm not working, I'm out passing out flyers. I plan to do this til my third page yellow pages ad comes out in September.

Today and last week, both neighborhoods I advertised in already had two LCOs' flyers on the door. Mine was the third.

My gut feeling is that once the 100 degree temperatures start up, no one will be spending their free time passing out flyers & door hangers. Until I hit my goal, I'll continue passing out flyers, heat or no heat. I've got a family to feed.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 04-07-2003, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking what goal have you set?

Jason
Old 04-07-2003, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

++++If you don't mind me asking what goal have you set?++++

My goal is to eventually have 80 weekly mowing customers and 200 weed control/fertilization customers.

I plan to mow 20 per day, Monday through Thursday, with Friday as my make up day. On Friday, if I'm not using it for make-up, I'll use it as weed control/fertilization day.

Annual revenue around $110k to $130K.

Long term, I plan to eventually exit the lawn mowing business and do only weed control fertilization. Not as dusty and can be more profitable per man hour.

Later,
DFW, TX
Old 04-07-2003, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like an excellent goal to me. I would be happy just to get 80 customers period.

Good luck on your Goal ! ! !

Jason
Old 04-08-2003, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hodge
[B]TurfGuyTX

Do you know of any company that hands out flyers/hangers. The time to put out 2k - 3k hangers takes away from other work. I have had good success before just looking for a more effective way...

Hodge,

Sorry I was late getting back to you. We used Reed Distributing for our flyers. You can call them @ 817-577-8836. I'm not sure of what their delivery boundaries are, if any. Good luck.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone want some mowing in Plano

I know a landscape contractor who wants to sub out some mowing in the Plano- Allen area. They install the landscaping, but do not do mowing. It consists of some model homes and unsold spec houses adjacent to the model homes. If anyone is interested, e-mail me and I can give you their phone number.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That would be me

Mowingman, Yes I would be interested in the number. I have a lot of customers who request more on landscape than I am interested in (mostly mowing and chemicals), so the trade of might be good for us both....
Old 04-09-2003, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bryan, Thanks for the response I will give them a call.

Jason, Handing out flyers is (for me) a great response rate. Have handed out about 1500 so far and have 24 new customers. I break up the day, when I am not busy by handing out flyers and by choosing the areas. That way when I do receive call backs I know what area they were handed out in. I do have a few people hold on to the flyer for a few months and they will call when I do my second delivery in that sub division. Attempt to hand out 3 - 4 times in a subdivision. Start in Feb. Business pickups during the hot weather, and I give a flyer to anybody I see mowing their yards in the summer themselves. My goal is also 80 customers, with minimum drop off from season to season....
Old 04-11-2003, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick question about labor (though I'm miles from needing to hire labor at this time)....

We all know that it is really easy here in Dallas to pull into a labor camp and get labor. Most of these people can't speak english, so you wonder if they're really legal. From what I've been told, most can come up with a social security number. And my accountant tells me that if they have a social security number, I have to trust that it's valid...there is no way to call the IRS and verify that it's a valid ss#.

How many folks pay labor cash at the end of the day and 1099 it with the IRS?

How many folks pay labor with a check at the end of the week and W2 it with the IRS?

For those that are using 1099 for labor, what will you tell the IRS if/when they come asking you about the relationship?

Thanks,
DFW, TX
Old 04-11-2003, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

In this field of work...I find it very hard to pass someone as CONTRACT LABOR. There are certian criteria that they must meet to be classified as Contrac Labor. Such as the following:
1) They must have their own tools and machinery.
2) paying by hour/salary is an employee, contract labor is usually paid a flat fee for an amount of work.
3) Contract labor work for other people not just you. He is free to work for other LCOs.

Go to a government site and research it a lot more. If you treat someone as Contract labor and they are not....you will be penalized.

One more thing.

Are you sure your accountant told you that. My other companies check employees SSN all the time.

You are responsible for the tax and penalties if the number is not a valid SSN. If there was no checking, businesses would just make up a number and claim that you paid them cash and ring up a loss. Secondly you file a 1099 only if the amount is over $600 I think.

Go here for more info:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/ssnv.htm

Hope that helps.

Adrian